CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Dan B. Jones

Profile:
My gym at about 98% complete

Thought I would share my basement gym with you guys. Would love to hear thoughts on equipment to add too. So far it consists of:
Tuff Stuff power rack with high and low pulley
Tuff Stuff squat stands
Tuff Stuff incline/decline bench
Hoist Hyper Extension
Spirit treadmill
Concept 2
Plyo boxes 16"-30"
Rings
Title timer
Kettlebells, dumbells, bumper plates and bars
Leg extension/curl, preacher curl bench, and surely a bunch of other stuff that dont get much use anymore

I still need to get a few more mats from tractor supply, dumbbell rack, and a plate tree but for the most part I think Im done getting equipment. Should be starting the finishing of the walls in a month or two.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	7155

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2636.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	7156
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
James Francis

Profile:
Re: My gym at about 98% complete

FREAKING AWESOME! Good Job....about the only thing you didn't mention, is make some bulgarian training bags...cheap effective etc...But that is an add, and you definitely have a great setup!!!

I for one really appreciate the fact you have a nice timer...that is so awesome. Many people resort to the stopwatch which isn't bad but the timer is just icing on the cake and says you take your $ht seriously...once again Great Job, you have invested a lot of time and $ but have a gym that would give most fitness centers a run for their money...

Last edited by James Francis : 11-03-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. Jones View Post
Plyo boxes 16"-30"
Dude. How tall is your ceiling down there?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Sweet setup for sure man!!!

Only thing I would add would be to loop a 50' or 25' rope (whichever fits) around that support pipe by the dumbbells/kettlebells and set back to where the boxes are with it and do some battling ropes!! One of my favorite things to do for conditioning.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Dan B. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Francis View Post
....make some bulgarian training bags...cheap effective etc...But that is an add, and you definitely have a great setup!!!

I for one really appreciate the fact you have a nice timer...that is so awesome. Many people resort to the stopwatch which isn't bad but the timer is just icing on the cake and says you take your $ht seriously...once again Great Job, you have invested a lot of time and $ but have a gym that would give most fitness centers a run for their money...
I do something similar now with punching bags but that was something I had not previously thought of in terms of the bulgarian bags. The timer was some of the best money Ive spent. Theres something about being able to look at the clock and see that you only have 60 seconds left versus wondering how much time you have until you hear the beep. The title timer is a ***** to program though for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
Dude. How tall is your ceiling down there?
Ceiling is 102" at its high points. Under the HVAC ducts there isnt quite so much room. The 30" box requires you to jump in between the joists which is an odd feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post

Only thing I would add would be to loop a 50' or 25' rope (whichever fits) around that support pipe by the dumbbells/kettlebells and set back to where the boxes are with it and do some battling ropes!! One of my favorite things to do for conditioning.
I was thinking of doing something like this and link it to a sled but have to wait and see how the wall studs will impact the overall width. Where the furnace is right now is going to be walled in so ill lose about 10 feet. The wife wont let me move her skeeball table either. If I can finish up the recessed lighting project I have going on today I was planning on making a run to tractor supply to finish up the mats.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. Jones View Post
Ceiling is 102" at its high points. Under the HVAC ducts there isnt quite so much room. The 30" box requires you to jump in between the joists which is an odd feeling.
holy crap. 16"? Accuracy IS one of the ten skills.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Lance Fischer

Profile:

Nice gym, I'm still selling away on EBAY to get a few more pieces I need to complete my gym. I have the basics which are more than enough to kick my butt on a daily basis. BTW what brand are your dumb bells? Did you just buy them or did you already have them?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Dan B. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Fischer View Post
BTW what brand are your dumb bells? Did you just buy them or did you already have them?
Some of the dumbbells are old US made Yorks while I think all the rest are Troy. Ive had my eye open for a set of fixed dumbbells for years and missed the boat on a 5-100 set for $500. I use to work at a high end fitness retailer so a lot of the dumbbells were free. All of the stuff has been bought over the last 10 years. I wont buy anything (except for bumpers, bars, and anything else that I cant find used on eBAY) new anymore as the prices are out of control. The power rack used to retail for $500 and now is now $1000. My cost at the time was $260. Sometimes I wish I still worked there as half off of retail is awesome but eBay and craigslist can be even better. Just picked up those squat stands for $100.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Lance Fischer

Profile:

Been looking on Craigslist, but have yet to see a really great deal. Thanks for the info.