CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #41
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: What's so dumb about curls?

+1 on chin ups, weighted chin ups, rope climbs, arm wrestling, sled pulling, etc.

bicep curls? hmm, why work on a single joint movement that isolates less than 5% of your total muscle mass and has little to no systemic impact? I vote for bicep curls are a waste of my precious time, UNLESS of course, they are being used to as rehab for a specific injury in which case, even nautilus machines can be useful.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #42
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Lurc Piceb, "Curls are the Main Cause of Anthropogenic Global Warming, Functional Exercises Quarterly 5 (1993) 84.

Justin
Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #43
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
+1 on chin ups, weighted chin ups, rope climbs, arm wrestling, sled pulling, etc.
Oh yeah, legless rope climbs for sure. Definitely not boring.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #44
Lan Halbert

Profile:

I like to add them as a complementary movement on some of my exercises from time to time. Example; When doing light to moderate weight dumbbell squats I add in a curl at the top of the movement. I find I get winded much much quicker that way which to me seems like an added cardio benefit.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #45
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
45 pull ups is not a strength workout, especially if you kip.

I go by the chin up standard; if you can't do 15 consecutive dead hang chin ups, you should be doing chins up instead. Once you get to 15, feel free to add in curls.
This is what I used to tell people I trained all the time. Surprise surprise, most didnt listen to me
Old 04-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #46
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Ian,

Very strong men are suggesting that curls be apart of someones strength training. You may not get to that level of strength, but to catagorely throw out an excersize is not beneficial to training.

The bicep curl is not supposed to cause a systemic impact, it's supposed to cause an adaptation at the elbow joint. Weighted chins are very good, but when you have a great deal of other upper back, the limiting factor ceases to be the bicep, which defeats the point of using them to train the upper arm and elbow joint.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #47
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Blaylock View Post
I've read several comments here in which people have given the opinion that bicep curls are dumb or pointless.

I agree that they do not build functional strength; however, they do increase size of your bicep.

So here's my question: If you are doing crossfit, then you are working on you functional strength; so why would adding some curls here and there (on days where they won't interfere with the WOD of that day or the next day) be a dumb thing? Why not add a little more size or looks to what your getting with your functional strength?

I consider it extra credit.
There is nothing wrong with having aesthetic goals. Most people have had aesthetics as a primary goal at some point during their lives, and I'd be willing to bet that it remains a secondary or tertiary goal for the vast majority of CFers.

Does anyone really believe that all the "I only care about fitness" CFers would be here if getting fit with CF produced a negative aesthetic result? Thus aesthetics is obviously important to all of us.

Some of us just have different ideas about what aesthetic result we hope to produce. I'm happy with the result provided by "functional" exercises, but if someone wants bigger biceps, there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #48
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THats the thing, getting fit in a way that increases what you can do will not have a negative impact on your appearance. Athletes train for performance and they mostly look good.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #49
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
arm wrestling?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #50
Tony Black

Profile:

Curls/cheat curls with 40% or more of BW do become compound as you have to stabilze your knees/hips/spine etcetc. At that level they become "full body".

It bitty pink dumbell level - not so much.

Id view them as similar to (but lesser then) the benchpress. A move that has a place if only hugely overrated by most "nonathletes" in the fitness world.