CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Aaron Boggs

Profile:
Introduction, background, goals, etc.

Hi all,

This is my first time posting, though I've been lurking for several months now, and actively CrossFitting for close to 2 months. I'd developed a casual interest in CrossFit after learning of it a couple years ago, but never seriously thought about starting up with it myself until meeting a CFer who happened to work out at the globo gym I belonged to.

He was a super nice guy, seemingly always happy to answer any questions I had about the methodology, movements, etc., and gave me the pointers that actually got me my first muscle up on the rings. By that point I had started transitioning my training to something much more CF-esque, but apparently ramped up the intensity a bit too quickly as I impinged my right shoulder and ended up laying out of the gym on doctor's orders for a full 2 months.

Around August I began slowly getting back into the swing of things and trying to rebuild the strength I'd lost. Near that same time, the first CF affiliate opened up here in town and I set a goal to get back into reasonable shape in about 2 months at my current gym and then give CF proper a try. I went to a free Saturday WOD in early October, and was sold on the program on the spot. I quit my old gym and joined up immediately, went through my foundations training, and have been CFing 5-6 times a week since mid-October.

I absolutely love it.

I've been reading as much as I can on training and nutrition, and within the past few weeks have been really cleaning up my diet. At this point I'm doing 19 blocks/day of moderately strict paleo-zone (1-2 cheat meals/week) and I'm amazed at how much better I feel overall. I've also dropped about 5 lbs and have gone from around 20% to 16% body fat. We happened to do a CF Total in mid-November, and here was my breakdown:

Back Squat: 199
Shoulder Press: 111
Deadlift: 258
Total: 568

I'm pretty disappointed with my squat--I've never had very strong legs and I definitely mean to change that. I'd definitely like to get my squat into the mid-to-upper 200's and my deadlift well into the 300's. I'm not sure why, but I haven't been able to get a muscle up since my injury back in May, but I'd also like to get that back, and work towards being able to do unbroken MU's, which I was never able to do before. I'm wondering what a realistic time frame would be if my goal was to add 75 lbs to my squat and 100 lbs to my deadlift. 6 months? A year?

Lastly, now that I have my diet under much, much more control, I'd really like to lean out--I'm not really concerned with my weight at all, but ideally I'd like to get down to (and stay) around 10% body fat. I'm sure that as long as I stick with the paleo-zone prescription I can get there eventually, but I'm wondering how long it might take to shed the fat if I can stay pretty consistent with the diet. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, comments, etc.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
John Jaeckel

Profile:
Re: Introduction, background, goals, etc.

Dude,

At your age, if you follow a good diet and work hard, the fat will fall off you.

I got into CF sort of the same way you did, dabbled around in it occasionally for a couple of years, then got real serious in August (joined an affiliate, etc.)

Started dieting about a month later, really trying to go Paleo. Have been refining that ever since. Still far from perfect.

But, I've lost 20 pounds while probably gaining at least a couple of pounds of muscle since Augustó and I'm 48.

Good luck. I'd follow Paleo. IMO, it's easier than Zone practically speaking, maybe a bit more challenging in terms of what you can and can't eat. Work the WODS hard and honestly, and keep a strength component to what you do, because nothing burns fat like muscle!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

What is your affiliate's programming like? If you're at the type of the gym that does six 30 minute-plus metcons a week, it's going to take you forever to get stronger. But if they're smart with their programming (i.e. going with heavy 1s, 3s, or 5s on major lifts at least once a week, or doing a strength portion and skillwork before a short metcon) then you can get up to those numbers within a few months assuming your technique is good.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
What is your affiliate's programming like? If you're at the type of the gym that does six 30 minute-plus metcons a week, it's going to take you forever to get stronger. But if they're smart with their programming (i.e. going with heavy 1s, 3s, or 5s on major lifts at least once a week, or doing a strength portion and skillwork before a short metcon) then you can get up to those numbers within a few months assuming your technique is good.
+1,

My gym always does a strength routine before the MetCon, as Karl, er, I mean Eric describes. I do one whether I'm there or not. It's a huge part of CF's benefit for me.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Aaron Boggs

Profile:

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. The comment about the fat falling right off if I stick to a good diet is definitely encouraging. Though I still have a cheat meal more often than I ultimately would like to, I am becoming more strict with paleo as time progresses. Zone hasn't been as difficult to stick with as I originally thought it might--it just takes a good bit of forethought and upfront planning so that I make sure to have enough of the right stuff on hand for each of my meals. Keeping a mental tally of the blocks I've consumed is starting to become second nature, and my biggest problem is actually making sure I consume as much as I'm supposed to. 19 blocks a day equates to a ton of food if you're limiting yourself to paleo offerings.

Regarding the comments about my affiliate's programming--they really seem to be very good at catering to the specific needs of the members. A lot of us are relatively new to the program, so they recently ran us through a six week block of strength building workouts, and we're now into another six week cycle that is more gymnastics oriented. We're doing a bit more metcon than before, but most days still have a strength component that we do before the WOD.

I plan to keep hitting the workouts hard, getting even better about my diet, and absorbing as much information regarding training and nutrition as I can--hopefully results will follow.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Six weeks of strength focus with even a minuscule linear progression should have given you bigger numbers than those--what were your numbers at the start and what kind of lifts and rep schemes were you doing?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Aaron Boggs

Profile:

I came in somewhere in the middle of that 6 week strength cycle, and the CF Total happened about 1 month after I started CF--unfortunately, though, I'm not really sure what my numbers for those 1 RMs would have been when I first started. Regardless, it's definitely encouraging to hear that the initial goals I've set seem readily attainable.

Unfortunately, however, I tweaked my lower back this morning doing 5-5-5-5-5 deadlifts at 75% max so it looks like I'll be taking at least a week or so unplanned break from training. I somehow always manage to strain my back when I'm running on not enough sleep--I really ought to know better by now. Oh well.