CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Jay Nel

Profile:
Please explain Met Con Workouts and give examples.

I've come across the term Met Con and i'm interested to learn a little bit more about it. Also, if anyone can provide some workouts that fit the "Met Con" criterian that would be great.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Please explain Met Con Workouts and give examples.

Jay:

"Met Con" = "metabolic conditioning".

(work & family safe link to part of our FAQ (*strongly* urge you to read the whole thing)):

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General10

Essentially, any workout where the objective is to do as much work as possible in the shortes time possible . . . today's workout ("Grace") is both a metcon and a strength-builder (many CF workouts are). Other examples are "Cindy", "Chelsea", and "Fran".

I'll guess you need this link, as well:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD0

Metcon workouts should leave you gasping and wondering where all the oxygen went.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Jay Nel

Profile:

Are workouts that contain a mile or more of running mixed with pushups, pullups, situps considered Met Con? I'd like to maintain my running so I'm liking the Murph workouts etc.. Any other workouts like the Murph around?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you'll increase your running by doing metcons. Not just running workouts (although some metcons will include running), but any metcon.

Do NOT try this workout right now (or for a few months of solid CF training for that matter), but consider this workout:

Perform all the following as fast as possible:
50 Box Jumps 20" box
50 Jumping pullups
50 Kettlebell swings (36 lbs)
50 Hanging knees to elbows
50 Push press (45 lb barbell)
50 Back Extensions
50 Wall ball, 20lb ball, 10ft target
50 Burpees
50 Double-unders

That workout alone took me 34 minutes, and I was "able" to do a lot of them unbroken, and about half I broke up into sub-sets (like the burpees... hell on earth).

That is a tough metcon workout. It'll beat the snot out of you more than a 10 mile run. If you do it right that is.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Depending on a person's strength level, what's a "metcon" workout for some will have more of a "strength" look to others.

Take "Diane" for instance. Lots of 225 pound deadlifts. If one guy's max deadlift is, say, 250, then the effect of Diane on him will be very different than on someone else whose max is 450. For the first, Diane will be much more about building raw strength - for the second, muscular endurance. And as the first guy gets stronger, the effect of Diane on his body will shift. But because it incorporates this capacity to shift effect, Diane's still a "metcon" workout, IMO.

In contrast, a day when the WOD gives us 5 sets of 3 deadlifts, or seven singles, will always and only be a strength workout. It's not done for time - and the guy with the 250 pound max and the other with a 450 pound max will always experience them (at their respective levels) as focusing on building greater strength.

My $0.02, anyway.

t
Old 09-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Steven Bourdage

Profile:

The only running I ever do is when the front page WOD calls for it...so lets just say not too much running in my life. But with all the other met con work from the WOD's i find each day that does require running is getting easier and easier.

The benefits from met con workouts carry over to all aspects of cardiovascular activity
Old 09-23-2007, 02:58 AM   #7
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:

I use MetCon's as the "selling point" of Crossfit, and put people through them as a way of showing how we're unique.

The most concise definition I can give is that a MetCon workout blurs the distinction between strength and cardio work - I'm not sure what piece of Crossfit literature I read that in but it's from Glassman.