CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Orlando Mijares

Profile:
Program to improve aerobic and anaerobic conditioning along with burning fat.

This is going to be kind of long...

So I am trying to improve my conditioning and also my physique.
I started at 6' 4" weighing in at 255 and a 22% body fat percentage.
After a 3 weeks I am down to 241 lbs, I always loose a lot of weight the first 2 weeks and then its usually 1-3 pounds a week after that.

I am eating Paleo as well as doing a caloric deficiency (based on my caloric needs provided by my Dexa scan).

As far as my workouts, between kids, 2 jobs and cooking I can usually get in 2 to 4 days a week for about an hour.

My big goal is to improve my conditioning as I gas and burn out really quick in WOD's as well as lean down. I can squat 400, power clean 285, my cf total is over 1100. But when it comes to doing air squats, or light weight high rep wods I burn out fast and recover slow.

I started rowing this week, doing 30 minutes and keeping a 2:15/500m pace. What are some other things I can do to improve my aerobic and anaerobic conditioning while also helping to burn some extra fat.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
John Herbold

Profile:
Re: Program to improve aerobic and anaerobic conditioning along with burning fat.

If you have access to a rower, I'd recommend tabata training 3-5 times/week in addition to a longer steady state session, maybe 2-5k. If you're not familiar, tabata is 8 rounds of 20 second work / 10 second rest intervals, making each block 4 minutes long. It is key to absolutely kill yourself on the work sessions. You should not be able to do more than one tabata if you're doing it right. You will want to die after 4 minutes, and your legs will be a mess. If you think you can do another, you haven't pushed yourself hard enough. Aim to row 1000m+ in the 4 minutes.

You need a good timer. I prefer music mixed for tabata. Google "tabata music" and you'll find some options. Here's a good interval app if you prefer: http://www.bittimerapp.com/
Old 03-07-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Program to improve aerobic and anaerobic conditioning along with burning fat.

How would earlier workouts affect rower tabata? Like doing a squat training, something that aint gonna be kind to legs? Is it better to do tabata on some other machine than a rower in such cases or not?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Herbold View Post
If you have access to a rower, I'd recommend tabata training 3-5 times/week in addition to a longer steady state session, maybe 2-5k. If you're not familiar, tabata is 8 rounds of 20 second work / 10 second rest intervals, making each block 4 minutes long. It is key to absolutely kill yourself on the work sessions. You should not be able to do more than one tabata if you're doing it right. You will want to die after 4 minutes, and your legs will be a mess. If you think you can do another, you haven't pushed yourself hard enough. Aim to row 1000m+ in the 4 minutes.

You need a good timer. I prefer music mixed for tabata. Google "tabata music" and you'll find some options. Here's a good interval app if you prefer: http://www.bittimerapp.com/

Just an addition to what you suggested. Dan John said the best movements for Tabata are Bike, KB swings, Front squats and farmers walk.

A routine based around them (maybe one per session) + maybe a few sets of an upperbody push/pull would be pretty solid.

Richard
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
John Herbold

Profile:

I have done tabata on a bike, rower and sprinting on a track. They all suck. My preference is for rowing because it's full body.

Whether it's biking, KB swings, rowing, sprinting, etc., I wouldn't do a lower-body tabata on a heavy squat day. Work it in on other days of the week.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Orlando Mijares

Profile:

Quote:

So I'm not sure I'm reading this right. Do tabata and a long row on the same days? If that's the case I assume I would do the long row first, take a couple minutes rest maybe stretch a little and then hit the tabata? Or the other way around?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
John Herbold

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Mijares View Post
So I'm not sure I'm reading this right. Do tabata and a long row on the same days? If that's the case I assume I would do the long row first, take a couple minutes rest maybe stretch a little and then hit the tabata? Or the other way around?
No, do a tabata row a couple times a week. Warm up for 4-5 minutes, do a tabata, and cool down. Done. Shouldn't take more than 15 min.

You can add a longer steady state workout another time during the week if you want. I'd prioritize HIIT over longer steady state if necessary.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Orlando Mijares

Profile:

Quote:
No, do a tabata row a couple times a week. Warm up for 4-5 minutes, do a tabata, and cool down. Done. Shouldn't take more than 15 min.

You can add a longer steady state workout another time during the week if you want. I'd prioritize HIIT over longer steady state if necessary.
Got ya. I assume thats whats going to help my gassing out in WOD's issue.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
Steven Wingo

Profile:

In addition to tabata rowing, which I think is great, I would do long intervals on the rower or running or bike They should be 90 seconds to at most 5 minutes in length. Make the rest short, one-half to one times the work interval (i.e. 3 minutes on, 1.5-3 minutes rest). Make them hard. You should only be able to accumulate maybe 10-12 minutes of work and then feel you are right near your limit.

I would do long intervals in place of steady state rowing or runs. If you can train enough, do both and make the steady state intervals comfortably hard (not easy pace and not leaving you gasping, but you should be breathing hard enough where you shouldn't be able to carry on a conversation). But if you can't fit in both long intervals and steady state I would do the long intervals as the preference. Steady state will not do much for your anaerobic fitness. Long intervals will train both your aerobic and anaerobic fitness and ramp up your metabolism.

Remember--intensity is king. Go with the Tabata (short intervals) and the long intervals as your first choices.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Orlando Mijares

Profile:

New east favorite exercise! Tabata rowing lol. That was a major *** kicker lol.