CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Gravel Brown

Profile:
Re: Doc wants do a subacromial decompression mumford procedure - Uggg - Thougts?

My main symptom with my SLAP tear was any pushing movement. Benchpress and pushups were painful.

I could do everything else pretty much pain free.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Danielle Chollet

Profile:
Re: Doc wants do a subacromial decompression mumford procedure - Uggg - Thougts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weaver View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Since you did not have a tear...how would you rate the pain the first week through first month? Most instances I can find to read about people also had tears and talk about sleeping in recliners.. I am a side sleeper and cant seem to sleep on my back. Surgery would be on side that I do not rest on though...
There wasn't much pain if you were just sitting there, only if you moved it a certain way. (Was pretty hard to tie my shoes I didn't feel a need to take the Vicodin they gave me past the first day. After the first week the pain of movement started easing off.

Yes, I was instructed to sleep in a recliner, and I can't sleep on my back, either, but the recliner thing with your knees raised makes a big difference compared to laying flat. Use a u-shaped neck pillow to save your neck. Once I got past the recliner time frame, I would still sleep on my back in bed (with a knee bolster) for some weeks until it didn't hurt to lay on my shoulder, and I definitely got better sleep in bed than in the chair.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
Selina McFall

Profile:

All the talk of recliners and people taking weeks and weeks off work from a desk job scared me before the surgery. My surgeon didn't suggest anything like it. I slept in a nest of pillows, and took 3 days off work (desk job). It was really not that bad.

Sometimes reading a lot on forums doesnt help. I got a lot of info that contradicted what my surgeon said, with regards recovery times and coping with life after surgery. My surgeon was spot on - as the one who was actually treating me, that's hardly surprising! I'm sure his approach also helped me maintain a positive state of mind post surgery.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
Carlos Garza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
My main symptom with my SLAP tear was any pushing movement. Benchpress and pushups were painful.

I could do everything else pretty much pain free.
I had the same symptoms when doing any pushing movements a few months ago, I rested the shoulder for a little over month and Ive been active for about 3 month now, push ups are almost pain free, the only movement giving me trouble are ring dips, can't do them all the way down… I got an MFI done and had 3 different doctors look at it and all of them told me my shoulder looked ok. So I'm stuck and don't know if the injury is gone for good or if what I really need is another MRI.

Last edited by Carlos Garza : 12-16-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Curt Garner

Profile:

Jason,

I underwent a Mumford procedure about six years ago, after trying all the non-surgical fixes. As I recall, it was a week or two before I could sleep on that side. Although I was cleared for exercise after a month of so, and started back gently, it took a lot longer than that before the pain disappeared. For awhile, I wondered if the operation was a failure, and I became frustrated with my recovery. It wasn't until around the six month mark that I was finally back to 100% with kipping pullups, muscle ups, and HSPUs. Today, I feel fine.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Curt Garner : 12-17-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
Russ Monzon

Profile:

hey Jason..

your post is interesting to me because it's almost the exact thing that i have been contemplating to post for a couple of weeks now.

i've been having shoulder pain since july. got an MRI without contrast and it reads a lot like yours except that the fraying in my supraspinatus tendon is at the most distal end. took about 2 months off (until that point i was going 4-5X a week), during which time i did PT that was prescribed by the ortho doc i saw, and ART with a chiro that i found on my own. both the ortho and ART docs remarked on my poor posture and that i am uppercrossed. i have to think constantly about pulling my shoulders back and down, and catch myself in poor posture many times throughout the day - i am getting better, though. i too have a child that weighs 25 lbs that i carry quite a bit.

the ortho doc gave me a shot right into the AC joint that has given me a little pain relief, and suggested i get the Mumford procedure done. the PT & ART sessions have increased my ROM and scapular strength. i can lift my arm over head and can push some weight relatively pain free (25 lb DBs in today's WOD), but have a real hard time with any pushing movement (push-up, bench press).

my ART doc is advising against getting the clavicle surgery done, saying that i can mob/stretch/strengthen my way out of this. im not really sure what to do as the ortho doc seems to be ruling out that what i have is a labrum issue - i suggested maybe getting a contrast MRI, and he kind of poo poo'd the idea. im actually considering getting a second opinion from another ortho guy.

anyway, im back to working out again, modifying the WODs that involve any kipping (pull-ups, toes-to-bar) or anything overhead - so, all of them!

i'll be 48 next weekend and i know that a lot of my issues have come from not recovering properly when i was going almost everyday - i developed tendinitis in my left achilles and right knee. the tendinitis symptoms in my legs are pretty much gone now with the rest i've taken and im going to try and train a lot smarter and continue ART and lots of mobility. i'm interested in seeing how you fare Jason if you decide to get the Mumford procedure done.

good luck!

Last edited by Russ Monzon : 12-17-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: content and grammar
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Jason Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Monzon View Post
hey Jason..

your post is interesting to me because it's almost the exact thing that i have been contemplating to post for a couple of weeks now.

i've been having shoulder pain since july. got an MRI without contrast and it reads a lot like yours except that the fraying in my supraspinatus tendon is at the most distal end. took about 2 months off (until that point i was going 4-5X a week), during which time i did PT that was prescribed by the ortho doc i saw, and ART with a chiro that i found on my own. both the ortho and ART docs remarked on my poor posture and that i am uppercrossed. i have to think constantly about pulling my shoulders back and down, and catch myself in poor posture many times throughout the day - i am getting better, though. i too have a child that weighs 25 lbs that i carry quite a bit.

the ortho doc gave me a shot right into the AC joint that has given me a little pain relief, and suggested i get the Mumford procedure done. the PT & ART sessions have increased my ROM and scapular strength. i can lift my arm over head and can push some weight relatively pain free (25 lb DBs in today's WOD), but have a real hard time with any pushing movement (push-up, bench press).

my ART doc is advising against getting the clavicle surgery done, saying that i can mob/stretch/strengthen my way out of this. im not really sure what to do as the ortho doc seems to be ruling out that what i have is a labrum issue - i suggested maybe getting a contrast MRI, and he kind of poo poo'd the idea. im actually considering getting a second opinion from another ortho guy.

anyway, im back to working out again, modifying the WODs that involve any kipping (pull-ups, toes-to-bar) or anything overhead - so, all of them!

i'll be 48 next weekend and i know that a lot of my issues have come from not recovering properly when i was going almost everyday - i developed tendinitis in my left achilles and right knee. the tendinitis symptoms in my legs are pretty much gone now with the rest i've taken and im going to try and train a lot smarter and continue ART and lots of mobility. i'm interested in seeing how you fare Jason if you decide to get the Mumford procedure done.

good luck!
I tried to find an ART practice with an opening...but none seem to have one till early January which is after the surgery date. Not sure I would trust a chiros opinion over a doctor...though??? Hard to know if either of their motives are 100% in my best interest ..maybe doc needs a new lexis for the wife under the Christmas tree and I have a big fat ribbon on my head (L).

I spent so much time reading...and have analysis paralysis. I have been recovering from various knee surgeries or wrist/forearm ecu sublaxations since May and I am tired of my slow workaround fitness routines. I was finally getting close to returning to the box.

I go see the surgeon tomorrow. My doc is fine..but I am sure he will be tired of seeing me again and my two pages of questions single spaced 5 font. I'm not ready to lay down and die like they want me too....but I am willing to make my WODs a thinking mans game and train smarter and more balanced. One would be to stop sumo high lifts .. thumbs up on lateral arm raises and balance push and pull exercises..incorporate ART, Yoga ..etc into rest days

I still dont know if fraying can heal and smooth over and the tendon can grow back to original thickness over time. Can I cure the impingement through modality, posture and rehab...or Is my sloping edge of my acromion a hands down winner...even though its a type I process..

Last edited by Jason Weaver : 12-17-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: poor attempt at spelling corrections.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
Carlos Garza

Profile:

Have any of you guys seen this vid?

http://youtu.be/beVd-cX_TX8
Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #19
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weaver View Post
I tried to find an ART practice with an opening...but none seem to have one till early January which is after the surgery date. Not sure I would trust a chiros opinion over a doctor...though??? Hard to know if either of their motives are 100% in my best interest ..maybe doc needs a new lexis for the wife under the Christmas tree and I have a big fat ribbon on my head (L).

I spent so much time reading...and have analysis paralysis. I have been recovering from various knee surgeries or wrist/forearm ecu sublaxations since May and I am tired of my slow workaround fitness routines. I was finally getting close to returning to the box.

I go see the surgeon tomorrow. My doc is fine..but I am sure he will be tired of seeing me again and my two pages of questions single spaced 5 font. I'm not ready to lay down and die like they want me too....but I am willing to make my WODs a thinking mans game and train smarter and more balanced. One would be to stop sumo high lifts .. thumbs up on lateral arm raises and balance push and pull exercises..incorporate ART, Yoga ..etc into rest days

I still dont know if fraying can heal and smooth over and the tendon can grow back to original thickness over time. Can I cure the impingement through modality, posture and rehab...or Is my sloping edge of my acromion a hands down winner...even though its a type I process..
Selina makes a great point. Diagnosing, treating and recommending over the internet without an exam, or seeing the xrays mris etc is confusing for people. Every patient is different and every person has different pathologies in their shoulders that make them hurt. Every doctor is different and one doc can treat something one way while another will treat the same pathology completely differently. What we do know is there is nothing like looking at something arthroscopically. That is the real gold standard and not exams or MRIs. Unfortunately that is surgery and should only be reserved for those who really need it or have failed everything else. Typically type 3 acromions can cause impingement and type 1 means it is flat. Frayed tendons and torn tendons typically do not go back to normal thickness.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
Steve Noto

Profile:

OK so I'll throw my name on here as having similar symptoms. I can do push-ups and dips even with little or no pain. Chin ups are OK and pull-ups are manageable. I did some knees to elbows that hurt the shoulder pretty bad. Doc wants to do Mumford procedure as well. The thought of working out pain free is so wonderful...however its pretty manageable and I don't want to jump to surgery too quickly. My main concern is making it worse. It does not seem to be getting worse quickly. I don't know what to do either...