CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Van Silverman

Profile:
Un-certified trainers?

Ok, this is a dumb question I'm sure. Does ANYBODY allow un-certified trainers to either run classes or help train? I'm talking in a semi professional capacity, endorsed by the owner, not just one client helping out another.

I left a CrossFit box a few months ago after 6-7 trainers leaving due to the un-professionalism of the owner, he replaced them with 2-3 un-certified people. They have intentions on getting certified, but aren't yet.

I feel that leaving was the right choice, in this case just wondering if its normal (god, I hope not ).

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:
Re: Un-certified trainers?

Depending on what the situation actually looks like, it might be grounds for their insurance company cancelling their policy (as the liability insurance is usually contingent on having certified instructors, although many insurers would allow other certifications like ACE, ISSA, CSCS, etc.).
Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Dave Traeger

Profile:

As a business owner, I'd rather employ a good un-certified trainer than a bad certified one.

As a gym-goer, I don't really care whether my trainer has certs, or which ones he has as long as he's helping me in producing results.

As an insurance broker, please keep your trainers certs up to date if you wish to maintain your coverage.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Jeremy Heerdink

Profile:

The Affiliate License Agreement requires that all CrossFit training be conducted by an L1 trainer or under the direct supervision of an L1 trainer. If the affiliate runs specialty classes or training, such as yoga, Olympic Weightlifting, etc. those classes do not require an L1 teaching or supervising.

This was from a staff member at HQ and its on the FAQ's page on the main site.

Jeremy
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Jennifer Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Silverman View Post
Ok, this is a dumb question I'm sure. Does ANYBODY allow un-certified trainers to either run classes or help train? I'm talking in a semi professional capacity, endorsed by the owner, not just one client helping out another.

I left a CrossFit box a few months ago after 6-7 trainers leaving due to the un-professionalism of the owner, he replaced them with 2-3 un-certified people. They have intentions on getting certified, but aren't yet.

I feel that leaving was the right choice, in this case just wondering if its normal (god, I hope not ).

Thanks for the feedback!
As long as the trainer is working under as well as guided and instructed by a qualified Level 1 instructor, it should be fine. An instructor may take the Level 1 course; pass it and still not be a good instructor though. The instructor must know how to properly instruct a class of multi-leveled athletes in a safe environment is more important than a piece of paper.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Letting uncertified trainers work at your box without supervision is dumb for three reasons:

1.) You're in violation of your license agreement with CrossFit and we can end your affiliation.

2.) You're probably in violation of your insurance agreement and if you have a claim involving this trainer, the insurance company is probably not going to pay.

3.) You're a CrossFit facility and yet you didn't even bother to make sure your trainer underwent the most basic level of CrossFit training. If you're going to take this shortcut with training, then (as a client) I'm going to wonder what other shortcuts you're willing to take.

You want to run Billy Bob's Gym and not certify your trainers with CrossFit? Cool. More power to you. You want to run a CrossFit gym and not certify your trainers with CrossFit? You're setting yourself up for a problem.

(Note: There is an exception for new trainers being mentored. That is explained in the FAQ.)
Old 02-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Silverman View Post

Thanks for the feedback!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Just because they are your members, don't think they won't sue you. Do you have any idea how much back surgery costs?
And do you know who won't be paying for it when the insurance company finds out the "coach" was not covered under your policy? That's what they call negligence. So you could say good bye to your affiliate, home, car, vacation home, income, etc. depending on the severity of someone's injury.

Now, doesn't that $1000 for the cert seem like a good idea?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Matthew Wade

Profile:

We have a female who is not certified yet but has registered for her level 1. I let her help me in two classes a week. I'll let here lead warm-ups, demo movements and help watch over the workouts. We are about to start meeting on the weekends to work on teaching progressions, programming and the basics of how we want things done in our gym.
I think this should be how it is done, or some variation of this. I wouldn't leave her to lead a class by herself, even though I am confident in her abilities. She will be certified and have lead classes with me present before she goes it alone. This way the members become as confident in her as I am.
I wouldnt want to be a member in a class and one day walk in and it be lead by someone who used to be a student next to me and hadnt been through some formal training and mentorship first.