CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #71
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: aesthetics-bias CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Do you mean like high rep BW squats where you put your hands on your knees during each rep and use them to push yourself back up? Or perhaps Power or full Snatches where there is an obvious press-out at the top? How about full Cleans where you land on one knee and basically do a lunge to stand up? High rep Deadlifts with rounded low backs that turn into nothing more than an RDL?

The entire idea of competitive Crossfit is getting stuff done as heavy as possible and/or as fast as possible. When you are tired or the weight is just a bit too heavy for you - your form is complete a$$ - period. However, if you adhere to the almighty form then guess what? You just don't lift enough or go fast enough - hence...you LOSE.

as for ridiculous barbell complex...well isn't that (the one she does) about as arbitrary as just about any other Crossfit WoD (speaking more mainsite than anything else)?. Give me the logic behind and absolute non-ridiculousness (someone, somewhere, will think its ridiculous) of every Crossfit WoD and I'll retract my statement.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Crossfit. It is oustanding for me for one simple reason/purpose. It has helped me identify what I need to focus on and where I want to go with training myself and others. But lets please not go down the "They do it wrong, we do it right" mentality. As much as we (some in the community) chest pound about "Well, have you really done 'INSERT HERO/GIRL WoD here'?" I could equally ask - "when was the list time you did 20 reps of Bench followed by 20 reps of Back Squat at Bodyweight?". Forget the C&P. Just do that, rest 2mins and repeat. You'll look just as shaky and "questionable" as she did - except I'm guessing - not as hot doing it...
I don't care about the sloppy reps on the clean and jerk, that's just a matter of her never being taught to clean properly. I'd knock that video for the 1/2 squats, the bench presses that didn't touch her chest or lock out at the top and that had her butt lifting off the bench, and the push presses/push jerks that didn't get overhead or lock out. I'm pretty sure that's what James was referring to.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #72
Eric Parham

Profile:

SHe's been rip to shreds about the half rep of the bench plenty of times.....she has shoulder problems that keep her from full ROM. But lmao about form, the main reason I didn't want anything to do with crossfit through my first experience was because of what I called "Flailing around" aka very bad form using momentum.
But as I atarting looking at it I realized how much atheletic ability it takes. Not every muscular guy at the gym is a competitive bodybuilder BTW.
I beleive in full range of motion with good form when it comes to bodybuilding.

Bottom line....This is a hot girl that did this workout for the very first time using her BODY WEIGHT. Now please post please post your video doing "half reps" with the same protcol

I honestly posted this cause she was hot and for your enjoyment. Not so much for guys to try to pick her apart. Not sure why anyone would do that, especially a guy. But something tells me after she trains this way for a little while she will be much better at it...but then will start the "well if I's." There is no magic my friends, dedication is the answer. You guys post your stats as you sig.....I'm not picking you apart.

Better yet....I'm going to post a video of me. Doing my four set of smth machine shoulder press (20X 135; 16X 185; 12X 225 and this video 315 X9) Be very interested to see the comments. I'm sure there's something I coulda done better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd-L0...gDbSlzrgW6vty5

Last edited by Eric Parham : 02-17-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #73
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I don't care about the sloppy reps on the clean and jerk, that's just a matter of her never being taught to clean properly. I'd knock that video for the 1/2 squats, the bench presses that didn't touch her chest or lock out at the top and that had her butt lifting off the bench, and the push presses/push jerks that didn't get overhead or lock out. I'm pretty sure that's what James was referring to.
Well...one of the things you have to recognize is that bodybuilders train with different techniques than those who train for strength. Some of it is to target certain muscle groups or to create an occlusion-like effect. Some of it has just been passed down from way back in the days of Vince Gironda and the like and is outdated. Usually, partial ROM stuff should be coupled with full ROM work to avoid muscle and flexibility imbalances and potential joint issues.

But for the most part, bodybuilders tend not to attempt to figure out the most efficient techniques for lifts because they're not after strength and care more about muscle tension.

Generally, for natural lifters, it's best to couple strength with hypertrophy work, like what Layne Norton does. You could also do a setup more like Westside but with reps in the 5-8 rep range for the main compound lifts. There are some genetic freaks though, who can get big fairly easily with just high reps and no drugs, but this is not the norm. And, of course, with heavy weights, you should usually be using proper, full ROM, locking out technique.

Last edited by Donald Lee : 02-17-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #74
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Do you mean like ...
What I mean is that from the first rep of the first round her form was pretty bad (rear end bouncing on every rep of bench for example). Defend her if you wish, attack me if you wish. But the simple fact that she took herself to complete exhaustion with big sets of big exercises does not in and of itself equal crossfitting. All I'm saying.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #75
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Travis View Post
which is it? ridiculous or worth a try?
Well, don't many of us do ridiculous things from time to time?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #76
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
ummmm, yeah, pretty much that, everyone one else saw it as well, didn't they? Those "cleans" were cheating-reverse-curls. I am sure they are tiring and hit a bunch of muscles, but for a professional in the fitness industry to call them cleans is just silly.

Whatever, I can see my comments were breeding some negative vibes, so I'll check out.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #77
Michael Travis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Yates View Post
Well, don't many of us do ridiculous things from time to time?
Touche.