CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
How do you do "easy days"

Since lots of people recommend to go on cycles like WOD as RX'd for 3 weeks, then one 50% week, then after 12 weeks, use the 50% week as a full "active rest" week, with no WOD's but simply low intensity (like walking, hiking, light cycling, etc).

My question is, how do YOU do the 50% weeks? Do you simply take 50% of the RX'd weight (or 50% of what you'd normally do)? Do you do 50% of the distance for a 5k? Do you take twice as long to complete the workout? What options are there out there really?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: How do you do "easy days"

If it is a definable metcon event (Fran) I'll do it in one of two ways:

Scaled to lower weight/reps via a Brand X scaled workout. (The common 50% approach)
Not for time. (Allows more time for resting if needed)

If it is a strictly strength event, I'll lower the weight or do a Brand X scaled version.

If it is a power/speed event (say olympic lifts) I will do mainly form work with lower weight or a pvc pipe.

The biggest thing I do though is make it active rest, I don't just sit on a couch all day, I may go for a bike ride after the scaled WOD or take the dog's for an extra walk.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Thanks, that gives me a good idea. Yeah on active rest days I always do some easy easy work, walking, light cycling, or just do some work in the garage gym building something or cleaning up, whatever.

For the 50% days though, what you suggested is a good idea. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
How do you do "easy days"?
The only easy day was yesterday! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Personally, I've found that life will force enough rest periods on me every couple of weeks, where I'll need to miss a wod or three due to travel, work, personal commitments (or hangovers) In that way, my rest periods are constantly varied