CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
David Plakos

Profile:
i'd like this thread to be an overall topic on dip form, but i do have one specific question to start it:

when dipping, does best form/shoulder health suggest you keep your elbows tucked in or let them out?

i do tons of dips (my bench is in storage), particularly in the corner of my desk at work (hspus are a little ... unexpected at the office), and i know most of you folks do lots as well. with the number of reps we all do, we might as well do them in a manner that will allow us to do then when we're 60.

-david
Old 12-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Elbows in and lats flexed. This will help protect the shoulder. Otherwise, you will be crushing all the structures in the subacromial space.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
Michael Leach

Profile:
get a set of rings, you wont have to do as many dips. ;)
Old 12-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Graham Tidey

Profile:
So, doing pushups, HSPUs and Dips the hard way (elbows tucked in) will prevent injury?

And it's also a helluva lot more difficult. Why, because it's more isolational to the tricpes or because I've developed stronger muscles doing these movements elbows out for so long?

Wait... bit of both, right?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
Elbows out HSPUs allow you to engage your traps. Elbows in only engages pretty much the triceps and delts like the elbows out and the clavicular head of the pec. It's less strong, obviously, than your traps. Although clavicular head of the pec has the highest electrical activity in malteses.... :lol:

For dips and pushups it mainly a leverage matter. If you're doing elbows in then your body is much more in front of them which makes the bottom of the exercise much harder to push out of... it's nearly along the lines of planche pushups but nowhere near as insane. These also affect HSPUs as well, but I didn't include it in that explanation.

But yeah, the more you do the harder one the easier it gets. Neurological adaption is an amazing and useful tool. Elbows in is definitely overall "harder" but more safe for your shoulders though. :-)
Old 12-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
From a stability perspective, elbows in is a much more stable position at the bottom of both movements. Once you get solid on them elbows in is the way to go and you will be able to power through far more, with far greater efficacy.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
Rod Gates

Profile:
On a related note, which way is easier on elbows? I have been battling medial epicondylitis for a long time. Usually pull-ups are what bother me, though with a band it is much better. Yesterday after doing a few sets of push-ups and dips my elbow flared up again so I am wondering if I should focus on elbows in or out with these two exercises?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Kris Freeman

Profile:
Elbows In!!!! I suffered an elbow break/dislocation/soft tissue damage in June. I find when I keep my elbows tucked in, shoulder down, lats flared that it takes stress of my elbow joint. Just what I've found.