CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-27-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Allan Talusan

Profile:
I have a trick wrist that doesn't have a great full range of motion due to years of greco-roman wrestling and stick fighting. 99% of my life isn't affected by this and neither is most of my training but I do notice that I can't even come close to the proper hand and arm position to do a proper front squat (I have to do the crossed arms version) and forget about trying to handstand. Any ideas as to loosening my wrists or workarounds this problem. The crossed arms position on my front squat becomes very difficult to hold anything over 200lbs. I practice my handstand on homemade parralletes and on my fists but in the end would like to do it the way everyone else does. Thanks for your imput.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Use parallettes for the handstands and dumbells for the front squats. Start gradually stretching your wrists regularly. You may or may not be able to gain enough flexibility in the wrists to have complete function.

(Message edited by rogair on July 27, 2006)
Old 07-27-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Allan,
I think the majority of us use parralets for handstands! I have extremely flexible wrists and I still can't do free standing handstands! Roger's suggestions are great, you can also try putting the bar behind your head and holding this position it makes a great wrist flexibility drill. (taken from Coach B)
Old 07-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Allan Talusan

Profile:
I''l definitely give those ideas a whirl. Thanks!

Any ideas on the Front Squats with a barbell? The hand position that they need to be in so my elbows are pointed outward are nearly impossible for me. I hate the crossed arms but have very little option right now.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Pointed out? Elbows should be up and forward.

A picture of your front squat rack position would help.

Some lifters have been known to use a 'half-bodybuilders' grip - bad wrist crossed over in front in bodybuilder's style, good wrist in normal front squat grip.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
Allan,

I don't know your experience level so forgive me that this is basic. Are you trying to hold the bar with your whole hand or do you just have your fingertips on the bar? The notch in your shoulder that is created by your anterior delt when you lift your arm is what holds the bar in place. In fact, for the static hold in front squat, if you elbows are high enough, you don't even need your hands. That way you can practice form while your wrists get more flexible.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:
Alan- my right wrist is fused solid. It doesn't move. It has been that way since 1995.
Front squat-I cross my arms, elbows high. The bar is carried on the delts not the hands nor the wrists. The key is to keep the elbows high. The wrist should not have any effect on the amount of weight you put on the bar.

Don't focus on what you can't do...find a way to do it. Front squat should not be an issue. Get the bar on the delts. Start with PVC and don't even hold the bar. Let the bar rest on the delts as you extend your arms straight out and up. Now squat.

Learn to perform skills on the parallettes or your fist. For me, they have to be performed on the fist...I don't have a choice, however, there isn't ANYTHING I can't do. I just have to practice more. Handstands....absolutely, I can do them against the wall and I WILL do a free standing.

My greatest challenge is the muscle-up. Ptior to my wrist injury they were easy for me. Now I have to figure out how to get through the transition with a straight wrist. I practice every week, and I AM going to do a muscle-up again.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
Sage Burgener

Profile:
Allan,

I am experiencing somewhat of the same problem. i have a wrist injury that doesnt allow me to front squat or handstand. (if i do its totally killer ) So as everyone has stated, i do use paralletes for handstands and i feel that they are just as good as regular handstands. as for front squatting, i know how you feel about only being able to go up to a certain weight with the hands crossed over. What i do is put the bar on my shoulders and grip it so my elbows are pointed completely down. then, i do a couple squats with that. Then, i gradually start moving my elbows up and doing a couple squats with each new elbow position. its somthind you work on and work with...dont try to get it all the way on your finger tips the first day. PLUS, you can still do a good funtional front squat with the bar on your palms rather than all the way back on your fingers if your elbows are up. well now im just rambling, so ill leave you to try to figure out what the heck i am trying to say. :happy:
Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Not to hijack the thread, but Skip kip like a madman on your MU. If you can get enough momentum to hop through the transition you should be able to do it without needing to flex your wrist. There's no way I can try this as I don't think I can make myself do it without moving my wrist, but if I do a strong kip on my MU I catch with my elbows at less than a 90 deg bend, so I would imagine you can do it with your wrist.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
Skip Chase

Profile:
Thanks, Roger! I will keep trying.