CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-29-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
John Tramell

Profile:
Was just wondering if anyone has some advice for a newbie here. I suffered a complete dislocation of my left shoulder earlier in the year. I followed up with my Ortho yesterday and his advice was to avoid any military or bench presses type exercises for a while and rehab, rehab, rehab to avoid surgery. Anyone have any advice on what CF exercises I should avoid and what exercises should I do to help build up that area. I am on a home rehab program but it is more ROM then strength training. I am a FF/Paramedic in Florida and need upper body strength. I have a set of rings, KB's and various other pieces of equipment at my disposal at home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just started doing CF about 1 month ago and do not want to stop due to this. I have been doing dips and PU's with a little discomfort but nothing that I can not push through.
Thanks
John
Old 07-29-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Just wondering John, what exercises or stretchs did that PT give you, if any? Other than light movements, it would seem that your options are limited to lower body for high intensity. Its hard to go slow when you're hurtin' but thats the best way.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
John Tramell

Profile:
Frank, So far they have me doing some adduction & abduction movements with a elastic bands but this feels quite remedial. This does not feel like it is doing anything. The pain that I feel doing a few select exercises is quick, sharp pain that goes away almost as fast as it comes on. Now this accident happened about 4 months ago but due to insurance issues, darn "HMO's", I just had my MRI last week. So I have been doing all of the CF exercises w/o a problem just a little pain and significantly decreased weight.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

There is an article in one of the back issues of the CFJ that addresses shoulder injuries. You could check the FAQ for the issue number, its worth the five bucks.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
John Tramell

Profile:
Thanks Nick. I have been looking and think that I found some info but any new advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
John Tramell

Profile:
Sorry, Iguess this should have been placed in the "Injuries Section" DUH! Sorry for the confussion folks.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
John,

I'm no Dr. or PT, but here is my advice. If your range of motion is okay, the next thing I would advise is static holds. Plank pose is a good one. Gradually lifting your legs higher until you are able to be in a handstand. Supports on parallettes or rings is also good. Also holding a side plank would be good too. I would work into all of these gradually with your feet or knees on the floor and gradually work to the full positions. If you are able to hold all those positions without modification for at least a minute, then I would gradually work back into the military press and bench press and pushup movements.

I would also continue with any other remedial exercises that you are working on just to be thorough.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
John Tramell

Profile:
Thanks Keith, I am working on all the static moves now but still have a pinch of pain that returns once I try to lift my feet of the ground for longer then 15 to 20 seconds. I will keep doing the exercises that the PT prescribed.

Thanks

(Message edited by bk117t on July 30, 2006)