CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
dave ojeda

Profile:
Just wondering if doing a 2 handed kettlebell swing with a foot stomp is very different from doing the swing with feet firmly planted?

I have seen the swing done both ways and was wondering what the funtional differences are?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Dave
Chicago, Il
Old 03-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Are you talking about swings where you come up on your toes at the top or one with an actual deliberate stomp?

I've seen plenty of people do them and come up on the toes at the top but never a deliberate stomp. The stomp is normally reserved for jerks and snatches which have a definite lockout overhead.

The swing coming up on the toes is simply a case of someone getting lots of leg drive and the weight ending up very high before it comes down.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
dave ojeda

Profile:
Don,

I normally do them where I will rise up on my toes. But for the example I am talking about you do stomp similiar to a jerk or snatch.

Would that be considered just another variation of the swing in your opinion?

Old 03-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Dave, I think stomping would slow down your cyclic rate, lowering your intensity. I don't even come off my heals, but sit back and initiate with the hip drive. I'm no expert though.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
After thinking about this for a little while i grabbed a 24kg kettlebell snd had a go at a few swing variations.

My first impression of the swing with stomp is as Larry has said. It slows down your rate and adds a pause which isn't really necessary. It also feels a bit awkward as there is no definite point at which I feel like I should be stomping, unlike a snatch or jerk where the stomp ends at lockout.

In my experience the thing that makes swings so tough is that you move fast and don't get a break.*

*Disclaimer - I've done a lot of kettlebell work but i'm new to crossfit so someone else may be able to answer in a more crossfit specific way.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Stomping is what the old timers did, go to www.sandowplus.co.uk and find one of Pullum's books for a technical description (although only 1 handed and 2 dumbbell swings are there). This was to get the most weight swung overhead...bit like a dumb-snatch, at least it'd encourage a full hip extension.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:25 AM   #7
bill fox

Profile:

I wouldn't stomp swing as a pratice.

Davies has the stomp snatch and stomp clean (maybe) in his book. When I snatch the 40kg I sometimes leave my feet a little, but that's out of necessity at the end of a set. For swings, work on getting full hip snap while staying connected to the ground.

When Pullum was doing swings, as Graham alludes to, they were doing big weights mostly for singles.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
Jason C. Brown

Profile:
I second the opinions here. I would save the stomp for snatches and jerks.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:15 AM   #9
dave ojeda

Profile:
Thanks guys!!

As a practice I never stomp. But I had heard about this variation and wasn't sure if it was a good option for a change or more of a training tool for learning the swing in the beginning.

Thanks for everyones feedback!

Dave
Chicago ,il
Old 03-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #10
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I personally like the heavy swings, obviously the way they have been prescribed for high reps in the WOD's it's impractical to stomp. However as some extra training on the side I think swings for max weight are a very good exercise, Pullum with either hand could swing 150lb at a bodyweight of 122lb!!