CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #51
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
With the price of good stuff being what it is, I would hope whoever is taking it in the off season is getting more than a sponsorship that gives them a free tshirt and paying for their entrance fee and maybe lodging / travel.

Especially when getting caught is a life time ban, huge PR negativity and all the other garbage getting caught brings.

Some people will use because they feel the only way to be competitive is by using.

And with all the different things out there where do you draw the line? Does an older guy on Test therapy (under dr supervision) get kicked because the Dr days he needs T replacement? At what age is that permitted or not permitted?

Urine tests aren't hard to fool if one really wants too. Maybe that is why certain countries have special Drs following them at competitions all with the goal of passing said drug test. And guys in the PL world don't always cycle off, just look at ways to fool the tests.

This discussion could go on for days. In the end until someone admits, who is a top competitor, to using or someone fails all we are doing is wasting 0's and 1's.
If I recall correctly from my last reading of WADA and USADA, an athlete is not given an therapeutic use exception for "low T".
Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #52
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Okay, so I've been following this thread, but I had decided not to get involved, then this happened.

I was sitting on the couch in the gym today, eating my lunch and thumbing through the new issue of "The Box", when guess what I see. There's an add in the back for a website that sells testosterone and anabolic steroids. I'm not talking about cheesy pro-hormones or "loophole steroids"; I mean straight up injectable and oral testosterone.

So, what do you guys think about steroid companies advertising in CrossFit community magazines?
I think that is pretty disgusting and I can't believe they would even allow them to advertise in the magazine.

I don't have an opinion on the level of testing for CF as I really don't know enough about it to sound intelligent.

I WILL say, as a 45 year old dude that I WILL NOT ever take anything and never have. I don't even see the low T thing as valid or should be allowed even for older guys. It's a natural occurrence from what I can see so it is what it is. You deal with what your body can deal with naturally so if I slow down or have a harder time recovering, well then that is my reality.

I really enjoy all sports but detest the level of cheating these days. I also cannot stand the stance many younger folks take toward PED's saying "it's all about entertainment or just legalize it and let everyone level the playing field". Cheating is cheating...there are rules. If you don't like them or feel you can't compete with others without cheating, don't play.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #53
Richard Colon

Profile:

steroids make boring $hit, less boring.

let people do whatever they want.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #54
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Plomchok View Post
I think that is pretty disgusting and I can't believe they would even allow them to advertise in the magazine.

I don't have an opinion on the level of testing for CF as I really don't know enough about it to sound intelligent.

I WILL say, as a 45 year old dude that I WILL NOT ever take anything and never have. I don't even see the low T thing as valid or should be allowed even for older guys. It's a natural occurrence from what I can see so it is what it is. You deal with what your body can deal with naturally so if I slow down or have a harder time recovering, well then that is my reality.

I really enjoy all sports but detest the level of cheating these days. I also cannot stand the stance many younger folks take toward PED's saying "it's all about entertainment or just legalize it and let everyone level the playing field". Cheating is cheating...there are rules. If you don't like them or feel you can't compete with others without cheating, don't play.
i understand what you are saying, and i agree that cheating is cheating. but that is the point of saying the rules should be changed. then it wouldn't be cheating. just like changing any rules or laws. i don't see how it would still be cheating if they said it was fine. there are several sports that have already done this.

as to the "it happens naturally so why change it", i don't understand that argument at all. so should people with poor vision not wear glasses? or not be allowed to get laser eye correction? cancer happens naturally, should we not treat it? if a person gets diabetes should they not treat it with medication? should old ladies not get hip replacements? is all plastic surgery wrong? what about stomach bands? using rogaine for hair? going to the dentist for cavitiy? the point is that even though things happen naturally, that doesn't mean it is wrong to correct them or even improve them, does it? if a man finds himself unhappy with how he looks or feels, or finds that his life is effected in a negative way, and it can be easily fixed with hormone replacement therapy then why shoudln't he get the HRT? i am not saying he should use them to play sports if not allowed or that it should be an excuse for athletes to cheat. i am discussing them as two seperate issues. but it seems like you are against any form of HRT? i am curious as to why? are you also against ED medications? what about women taking estrogen?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #55
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

I am against it (TRT) giving an edge in competition. Whether old or young...if drugs help someone lead a normal life where they would not have one, then that is different in my eyes. Should have clarified that better I guess

PED's I would like to believe are bad for our bodies in the long run. Again, I am not expert. Only what I've read over the years...I know they are prescribed for healing and injuries and such but I know there are also side effects, especially in the long run.

I'm against the rules being changed. Call me old school or whatever but that is my opinion.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #56
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Plomchok View Post
I am against it (TRT) giving an edge in competition. Whether old or young...if drugs help someone lead a normal life where they would not have one, then that is different in my eyes. Should have clarified that better I guess

PED's I would like to believe are bad for our bodies in the long run. Again, I am not expert. Only what I've read over the years...I know they are prescribed for healing and injuries and such but I know there are also side effects, especially in the long run.

I'm against the rules being changed. Call me old school or whatever but that is my opinion.
thanks for clarification. makes sense. i understand your opinion. don't agree with all of it, but i do understand it.

here is just something to consider... not to argue, just to consider, b/c i used to feel much the same as you and then after discussions with people i saw things different...

but, you say that you are against it in competition, but ok with it in normal life... then you also you don't like it for young because it will hurt in the long run. so if a younger athlete shouldn't use because it will be bad for his life in the long run, does it make sense that an older athlete shouldn't be able to have a normal life just because he still wants to play a sport? if the older athlete can choose to have a lesser quality of life by not getting HRT, then shouldn't a younger athlete be able to make the same choice by taking it?

also, in terms of making a difference in competition it is not ok, but it is ok for a normal life, then what about things like eye correction?

i would also point out there are many many things that athletes do that are poor for long term health. many probably much worse than PEDs. such is the nature of many sports.

just food for thought
Old 08-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #57
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

I understand what you are saying, I really do. I also know much of anything can be debated back and forth so no offense taken at all.

I know PED's are rampant in every sport, I just don't like it and I'm a bit stubborn with my views.

I think usage for normal life and usage for competing (at any level) are different. Maybe my view is incorrect but I don't know how else to convey it. I am a masters level guy and I hear what you're saying about "should the older athlete be able to extend their life in sports (I think that was what you were getting at) but the reality is at some point, your body can't take the beating so you do what you can. I am feeling those effects right now with a low back injury and it sucks but I have myself to blame for pushing too hard after a muscle strain.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #58
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

I don't it matters whether the prize is 275k or a million dollars. People will use PED simply to WIN. There doesn't have to be a prize.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #59
Brett Valego

Profile:

it's also crossfit hq doing the testing, no? not an independent 3rd party or USADA/WADA? then it's all BS to me. even if froning or someone else who is 'known' tested positive (not that they'd even select them 'randomly' for a test) they wouldn't let those result be known. these guys are the poster boys for cfit. they couldn't risk having them be caught using PEDs!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #60
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

What would be worse:

Finding out a poster child was using

Or

Finding out Cf HQ knew they were using and hid it

One shows the integrity of HQ keeping it clean even at the loss of some face/pr from a poster child

The other puts nails in the coffin that one could ever trust HQ and that everything is just a farce.

I doubt HQ would let it slide knowing that, and their past history on nipping stuff in the bud