CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Jeff Palmer

Profile:
I am looking for some type of document that lays out the exercises, how to do them, and instructs how to plan or select a WOD. Is there a book or some type of document that will help me do this?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Ah, young grasshopper, the answers to your questions can be found on the main page:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html
Old 01-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Tom Viera

Profile:
Just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone here who replies to questions, offers assistance, guidance, etc.....it makes this site so great!
Cross Fit Rocks!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Jeff Palmer

Profile:
I have reviewed that page, but I'm a little slow. I don't get the method of selection what exercises go innto the WOD. How does one plan....
Old 01-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
James Besenyei

Profile:
Jeff,

The WOD is selected from among the veritable cornucopia of exercises found here: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html. As far as a distinct methodology goes, one would have to invest some time reading the relevant material provided in the Journal (much of it for free by the way), and referring to messages posted by those who have been here for a long, long time. If you either do not have the patience or the time to do this then you will really just have to take Crossfit at face value, the one presented to the general web-surfing public. Of course this would be the least desirable of outcomes because it can only benefit you to discover, critique, and either accept or reject the exercise methodologies and movement patterns that are emphasized within Crossfit. I am new to Crossfit as well, but through the above stated process I discovered that Crossfit met my goal of becoming, very generically put "more athletic". I think you could take the same general approach, and answer not only the very broad based questions you posed but also many more that will surely arise as you begin executing the WOD's. Hope this helps.

--Jim.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Jeff:

Part of the beauty of CF is that one has no need to plan. If you truly wish to re-invent the wheel, or are just curious as you start (as was I) there are a number of articles in the earlier editions of the CF Journal that lay out both the underlying theory and the underlying pattern of the WOD's. If you are either extremely advanced and experienced in the study of fitness, and/or incredibly self-aware with regard to your fitness needs and abilities, you could replicate the CF program de novo. It's really rather amazing how much information Coach has put out there about CF and the mechanics of the program.

Or, you could try the published WOD in a 3 on/3 off pattern for three months and see if it makes sense for you both objectively and subjectively. In addition, many of the affiliates post their version of CF for any and all to follow, and some of them have distinctive personalities that are quite different from the CF main page.

Not sure if this is the question you were asking, but I hope my answer is helpful. Welcome aboard.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Jeff Palmer

Profile:
The last two posts have really helped. I just could not get my mind wraped around the concept of selection of exercises. So as I get it start with a standard warm up, then hit the wod.

Thank you all.

Someone really needs to put this in a document form. It would be easier to pass around and promote the expereince.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
James Besenyei

Profile:
Right on Jeff, I agree that the WOD and exercise selection methods can be a bit cryptic at first. Good luck with your regimen.

Jim.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Jeff:

Meant to say 3 on/1 off. Sorry.

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt...
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
David Chow

Profile:
Hey Jeff, I too am a relative newbie to Crossfit as I was first introduced to it by a co-worker in mid-december. My friend introduced me to "Murph" and I was hooked as soon as I finished and collapsed to the ground. Since then I've perused the CF and affiliates website religiously and plan on attending a level 1 certification seminar in June.

I found adhering to the 3 days on/1 day off to be the most effective at this time. As for choosing what exercises to do I follow the WOD that's posted everyday on the website. However, like everyone else I cannot stress enough...read, read and when you think you've read enough go and find some more to read! CF on friend!}}}