CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
Seral Mehmet

Profile:

Is it a wise idea for a beginner who wants to number 1 increase strength and power and from there increase endurance and conditioning, to start with strength and power training of compound lifts and then once desired strength is reached to turn to the crossfit method of training?

Sorry as I am rusty on reading up info
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Hi Serah. I think if you want to increase strenght and power without the use of steroids, then Crossfit is the way for you. If you want to achieve endurance and strength simultaneously, Crossfit is the way for you. You should probably read around the forum archives and main page (see here http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html) as well. Work/family safe
Old 01-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Seral:

That is what Mark Rippetoe recommends, and I would recommend that too.

The reason why is that CF does help you gain strength and endurance; however, it does not help you gain strength optimally. Basically the way it is with anything is you can't do both at the same time optimally; it is either one or the other. If your background is one of a sedentary lifestyle, then you probably won't even have near the amount of strength to complete any/most of the exercises performed in the WOD. Thus, it would be best to strength train first, and, after you have a sufficient level of strength to do CF.

If you are looking for a very good book on increasing your strength if you are new to fitness/strength then get Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book. http://****************.com w/f safe.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Guess I lose :-)
Old 01-29-2007, 05:53 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
That said, the WOD has changed with approximately 1 to 2 max strength workouts per 6 day cycle (like yesterday, for example). Also...most CF affiliates don't have a strength only break in period, but will train >90% 1 RM during a few training sessions a week on a major lift. So Michell, you are partially right...Unless you are a total couch potato, scale the WODs, throw in an additional 5X5 or 3 X 7 or 1 X 10 workout, and you should be good to go.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
David Aguasca

Profile:
if this helps:

i started crossfit about 4 months ago, and quickly realized i was lacking a lot of absolute lower body strength and upper body push-strength. for example, a 1RM max 210lb deadlift and 145lb back squat at 144lbs. so anyway, i just recently started rippetoe's starting strength program (modified) so i back squat 3 days a week and deadlift 1 day a week, using sets of 5.

only been doing it 3 weeks now, but i'll get back to you in 7 weeks with a bigger crossfit total (currently at 475lbs). depending on where i am at that point, i'd choose between easing into tho WODs again or keep doing strength work.

oh, and starting strength is a wonderful book.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Michael Manseau

Profile:
I finally got Starting Strength & for the life of me can't find any program per say other than squats 3 x a week & the mixing of presses/cleans & benches. Did I miss a page?:wallbash:
Old 01-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:
Nope, that's the program. Do it. :-)
Old 01-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #9
Andres Diaz

Profile:
I was facing the same dilemma, then i was told strength comes before strength endurance. Here is the thread:
http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...274#POST113274
Now, 6 months later i'm 96% done with the SS intermediate standard. Almost ready to CF.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
David Aguasca

Profile:
hah, it should be Starting Strength: It's Simple! Just Three Easy (NOT) Workouts a Week will turn you from Sloth to Superman!