CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-07-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
Michael Tong

Profile:
I just started CrossFit. It is a lot of great information, but also lots to absorb. I understand the basics of the Zone diet. I have never been a calorie counter, so being precise on the Zone does not seem appealing. I do, however, eat very clean and am eye-balling the Zone-type diet.

Here's my problem... I feel hungry all the time now. The major change now is that I replaced my high-glycemic carbs with the Zone carbs. I use to eat a lot of rice, and some wheat bread. I am Asian so rice was always part of the diet. I quit cold turkey and now just eat good carbs but get hungry an hour later. Will this go away, or should I just increase my food intake?

For example, for breakfast, I made a scrambled egs with 6 eggs (3 yolks), 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms, 1/4 cup of scallions, 1 diced roma tomato, and 1/4 cup of diced green onion, ended with 1 1/2 cups of cantelope. I was hungry again in 1.5 hours - hungry enough that a mid-morning snack probably won't suffice - I could eat a sizable lunch. Is this just not a big enough breakfast? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Just looking for pointers.

I am 38, 5'7", 178 lbs., and about 13% BF.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
Chances are that when you're starting to switch out hi GI foods for 'better' foods, your hunger is not really "my belly is empty" hunger, but in fact "my body is craving a blood sugar spike" hunger.

For most this will pass in a couple of weeks...sometimes sooner, sometimes later. I say tough it out for a bit and if you're still hugely unsatisfied, up your intake.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Michael Tong

Profile:
Thanks Adrian. I will stick to it, and just increase my intake as necessary.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I popped your stats into the Zone calculator and it indicates 20 blocks of protein.

For breakfast, not everyone approves of oatmeal, but I'd sub in a 4 or 5 block zone meal of oatmeal, with some protein powder added and 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter. I eat this every morning and I'm not hungry.

Egg whites and veggies would make me hungry in about 45 minutes, so I'm not surprised. If you want to stick with that, you could add a fat block or two (olive oil).

Given your stats, it wouldn't seem like you need to lose fat and you must have a fair amount of muscle to burn calories.

(Message edited by eroyce on July 07, 2006)
Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Michael Tong

Profile:
Thanks Elliot. Yeah, I use to eat oatmeal just about every morning, along with a shake or some eggs. I use to cook the oats in milk, too, but have cut milk out for now. Because of what I've read here, I was trying to forgo the oats. How do you incorporate the protein powder and peanut butter? Just fold it in?

I may have to try some El Pato that I've read about and load up on egg whites.

The only fat I'd like to lose is around the mid section. Not fat by any means, but would like a prominent 6 pack. Other than that, I am more of a stocky/muscular build, fairly defined (not ripped).
Old 07-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I just mix it in. If you leave a little extra water after the oatmeal is cooked, then stir in the protein powder and the peanut butter.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Mark Madonna

Profile:
I try the to do the pseudo-Zone and found that in between meals if I am hungry I eat lean meat/protein. If i am tired I eat good fat usually walnuts or macademia. I have just started eating leftover meat/fish from the night before for breakfast and it is lasting longer than eggs for me. So for breakfast it would be approx. 4-8 oz. lean meat, veggies(onions, mushrooms, or spinach)olive oil and a piece of fruit.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
Michael Tong

Profile:
Mark,

Thanks for sharing your approach. I think I will just not worry about it too much. If I am hungry, I will use your advice and eat lean meats and veggies or something else to snack on. I have a few chicken recipes that I love and rotate so I will just make sure I always have some left over in the fridge for snacks.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Michael,
I see protein and carbs in your breakfast, but no fat. My guess is adding the fat in would go a long way to not feeling quite so hungry.
Kurtis
Old 07-08-2006, 05:31 AM   #10
Michael Tong

Profile:
Kurtis,

I use about two teaspoons of olive oil to fry up the eggs. Maybe that is not enough. Thanks for pointing it out though - perhaps I will add some diced chicken to the eggs and nuts afterwards.