CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-11-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
hey Im at 9% bf on the zone and my goal is 5%, ive read anything below 10% you should start 2x to 5x fat blocks. should I start upping the blocks now or wait until im at 5%?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Kevin,
Wait until your performance takes a consistent nosedive over a period of a couple of days (ie. don't go on just one day's bad performance). That's when your body's "extra", easily-obtainable fat reserves have been exhausted and you need to add more dietary fat to properly "fuel the machine". Make sense?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
ya gotcha , actually its funny you say that because the last week ive been feeling weaker and weaker barely making it through the heavy lifting portions of the wod. so I will try 2x fat starting today I guess, another question doc, getting all that fat must be hard ,are there any secrets to eating all that fat, 30 almonds is alot for a 5 block sitting.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Kevin, you'll see how easy it is to consume fat. I can eat an entire jar of macadamias if I felt like it, same goes for all other nuts. 30 nuts sounds like a lot, but when you see it on a plate and have a bite, you realize how little it really is :-)
Old 06-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
ya but im not rich lol those almonds could break the bank lol. any other types of fat easy to consume what about peanut butter?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Nope.. no peanut butter - too allergenic. If cost is an issue, you can always buy olive oil in bulk and pour it on food! :-) 1 TBSP = 5 blocks of fat. 2 TBSP = 10 (which is X2 for that meal).
Old 06-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Kevin,
Figure out ways to get oils into your meals, a Tbsp. of oil takes up a lot less stomach room than nuts.

Walnuts, pecans, and Brazil nuts pack more fat per serving than almonds. Almonds are also really expensive comparatively right now because so many people have learned of their health benefits.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
wow i didnt notice olive oil was that potent i mustve missed that thanks frank and as alwaya thanks garret , do you think its possible to still lose fat while adding fat blocks?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Kevin,
That's why you don't add blocks until you really need to.

Go to 2x fat first, see how that works for you. Give it at least a week, see if your performances improve. I've personally known since my low-carb days that I do great on a lot of fat, so I went straight to 3x fat when my performance crashed (after I finally figured out what was happening) and have stayed there since. I do believe one can still lose fat while adding fat blocks, this would be best accomplished for each person by adding the fat incrementally.