CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Nada Hassan

Profile:
got my first muscle up!, now what?

Iv searched this alot but can't seem to find anything. My question is to keep getting good at them , am I to keep doing singles and if so how any and how many sets. ( still have a single ; haven't tried for more because I won't be able to easily establish a false grip again)
Old 02-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: got my first muscle up!, now what?

Yes, If it takes singles. Do singles.

No different than becoming proficient at pull ups.... One at a time , over and over.... The. It's two at a time .. Over and over.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Congrats on one

Do singles but remember to rest too. Your tendons will flare up if you go crazy and do 30 singles in a day off the bat.

Remember your body is having to get acclimated to the movement and the joints take time for repetition.

I would also say post a video of your form. A good coach should be able to spot your form, see if you stay in the hollow position and then coach you on how to string them together
Old 02-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
Congrats on one

Do singles but remember to rest too. Your tendons will flare up if you go crazy and do 30 singles in a day off the bat.

Remember your body is having to get acclimated to the movement and the joints take time for repetition.

I would also say post a video of your form. A good coach should be able to spot your form, see if you stay in the hollow position and then coach you on how to string them together
The first day I got one, I did 14 more that day, my arms were wrecked for a solid week. Build up slow...
Work on form, and then try linking...
Old 02-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Nada Hassan

Profile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdm7rzsh1a...250-1.mp4?dl=0

You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS).
Old 02-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Here is a link I think that will help you visualize good form vs bad form in the world of crossfit muscle ups.

It is wfs for most part (think it has a few words)
http://vimeo.com/83701027

From your video I see a few things but I would enjoy a vid with less clothing and a little more of the start. It looks like your elbow are bent during the kip and before pull. Try to not break the legs and keep that nice hollow form.

The outlaw video will show that and good luck! Remember to rest up and go slow!
Old 02-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #7
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I too have been working on trying to string together multiple muscle ups. So far I have done 2 a few times and almost hit the third once. My problem is the same, when I come down after the first one, I lose the false grip and even with a good kip I don't seem to get over the top as easily.

I'll be following this for some tips.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:12 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

1) Tape your wrists. You'll really want to do this if you do a lot of muscle-ups, kipped or strict when using a false grip.

2) Right now, you are more than strong enough to MU. You could probably do one strict with a bit of practice if you wanted.

a) I would practice the negative so you get used to going back down into the false grip for the swing. It doesn't need to be super slow but a controlled descent so you can transition into the false grip.

You'll eventually need to practice the swing in false grip with straight arms but that just requires practice (and flexibility for some). Of course, down the road you could opt for just the no false grip kipping muscles (look up Carl Paoli's progressions on Youtube)

3) You could swing the legs more but as I said you're strong enough that isn't necessary at the moment.

4) I'd practice kipping the dip out of the bottom with the tuck-extend kipping method. It'll be easier than just pressing out of the bottom of the ring dip. Don't lose the tuck position as you catch the bottom. Kick your toes down in concert with pressing your arms (of course legs together and tight).
Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Transition out of the false grip ASAP would be my advice. I was so happy to be able to do them at first I relied on the false grip forever because I didn't want to go back to struggling with them. Once I committed to non false grip and got proficient in them is when I was able to string 5+ together.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I agree with Blair, also you need to turn over faster, think fast elbows, like in the cleans. Sped in the transition.

Every min on the min reps are good. Not taxing. Like do 5 to 8 single reps. Set the clock hit a rep on the min for (like I said) 5 to 8 min. Low volume. Do that a few time a week, and bump it up when it gets to easy. Befor you know it you will string them together.

Hang in the false grip will strengthen the grip up too.