CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Greg Whelan

Profile:
Hang Clean form issues [all cleans too]

okay, I know this have most likely been posted multiple times but I will post it again.

I have watched the videos on here and elsewhere, so I know the form. It is completing it.

Trying yesterdays WOD spurred this, I could only use 145 lb. On that note, as much as I try I kick out farther then I want too.

My issue normally stems from both the energy transfer and pulling myself underneath the bar. I am planning on setting aside a day next week to do a WOD and then focus on these techniques.

What should I try to improve my technique?

Another issue is that I cannot comfortably achieve the noted arm position while racking. I cannot keep my arms up on my shoulder [bent]. Is that okay? I think my forearms are too long during example testing as when I have my arms closer to horizontal my hands are even or beyond my head.

Thank you for any help I receive. I want to get better at this.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
Re: Hang Clean form issues [all cleans too]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Whelan View Post
okay, I know this have most likely been posted multiple times but I will post it again.

I have watched the videos on here and elsewhere, so I know the form. It is completing it.

Trying yesterdays WOD spurred this, I could only use 145 lb. On that note, as much as I try I kick out farther then I want too.

My issue normally stems from both the energy transfer and pulling myself underneath the bar. I am planning on setting aside a day next week to do a WOD and then focus on these techniques.

What should I try to improve my technique?

Another issue is that I cannot comfortably achieve the noted arm position while racking. I cannot keep my arms up on my shoulder [bent]. Is that okay? I think my forearms are too long during example testing as when I have my arms closer to horizontal my hands are even or beyond my head.

Thank you for any help I receive. I want to get better at this.
Don't practice technique during a WOD, do it seperately. In order to get the clean down it is going to take thousands of repetitions so don't think that one day will fix your problems either, I'm going through the same thing.

Not sure about the rack, maybe if you uploaded a picture someone would be more able to help out. Most likely a mobility issue, and if it is, your answer is on mobilitywod.com WFS.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I agree with Brad, doing cleans in a workout will not help you focus on the clean. You need to do cleans on their own.

From what I can understand about your rack position, it may help to move your hand grip wider. I am 5foot 6in and have long arms, my hand grip is almost tuching the smooth line from the center. about 4inches shorter then my snatch grip.

A video ot pics would help alot.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Whelan View Post
In the hang clean make sure the hips are moving down and then up, not back and forward.

Quote:
My issue normally stems from both the energy transfer and pulling myself underneath the bar...
Another issue is that I cannot comfortably achieve the noted arm position while racking.
You are always going to have difficulty pulling yourself under if you can't receive the bar properly. You need to get that rack position on the shoulders squared away before you can expect real progress on the pull-under phase.

Quote:
I think my forearms are too long during example testing as when I have my arms closer to horizontal my hands are even or beyond my head.
This statement makes little to no sense, so you might want to rephrase it. I will say, however, that the length of the forearms has nothing to do with problems racking the bar.