CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Dave Dayhoff

Profile:
Muscle-ups

Hey everybody! I'm in my second month of CF and I am loving it. Earlier this year I was playing center for a semi-pro football team, so I'm a pretty big guy. In the first couple weeks of doing CF, the weight was coming off like crazy, but now it's only coming off at about a pound or two a week (which, I guess I shouldn't complain for an endomorph). Still, I'm 250-255, which makes things like muscle-ups pretty stinking tough. I've searched around and can't find a good sub for them. Until I can get to the point where I can actually do them, anybody got any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Muscle-ups

1-2 pounds a week is pretty good after you get past the beginner weight loss period (which is a lot of water retention- it still makes you look thinner though).

For the MU, there are a couple of options:

The official scale is to do a buttload of pullups and dips. Like 3 or 4 for every MU. This isn't regarded as a very good scale.

What works better is to scale the MU back.

1st progression is what is called a Muscle Up row. Look it up. It starts like a horizontal body row with your feet on the floor or propped up on a bench. You will have to use a false grip and this also makes learning a false grip easier. False grip row to transition and press out with feet on bench or floor.

There are jumping MU but these don't really teach you the transition of the MU from false grip to dip.

You can also scale by setting up one of those weight bands by Iron Woody.

If you're strong enough, you can do negatives. Start in support, lower through the dip, transitioning into the false grip. More than likely you will have to end up in a L false grip hang since you won't be jumping into a support on high rings. You can add a pullup in false grip at the end in L false grip hang. Or you start in support, one dip, lower through the transition and do 1 L false grip pullup.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Nathan Whitehead

Profile:
Re: Muscle-ups

Great advice mentioned above. I would only add to make negatives easier, do them with your feet propped up on something about waist height. The closer the support is to your body, the easier it will be and visa versa. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.