CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
squats - weight, reps, women, kids, and stuff

Here is a great write up on high rep squats and lots of other good stuff from the latest TTMJ from CFFB... be sure to read the comments and anwers as much of the best info is found there. i thought the stuff about FT vs ST and the stuff about women and kids to be very interesting and always a good reminder... also the size vs strength stuff was important to remember based on goals...

http://talktomejohnnie.com/lifting-weights/ft-vs-st

link WFS...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Preston Sprimont

Profile:
Re: squats - weight, reps, women, kids, and stuff

Great article and comments, thanks for posting.
It's nice to hear from John to better understand exactly why he programs the way he does. The basic "power athlete" template that he posted a while ago was informative, but I always felt like there was a bit more to CFFB than what he laid out in that template (reps, sets, loads, etc., and reasons for those). So I enjoy reading his specific reasoning for what he posts on the website and learning from that.

Also very cool to hear his perspective on and experience with high-rep squat programs. For some time I've been a bit curious about the higher-rep programs that are touted to increase max end strength, as it's kind of at odds with the idea of "metabolic specificity" in strength training.

Anyway, great read from TTMJ.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Excellent, thought-provoking article. Thanks Andrew.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

He's right that 20 rep squats do essentially nothing for absolute strength for everyone but the rote beginner.

He's wrong why:

"What was the problem? Where did I go wrong? You donít have to be a genius to know for the last 2 1/2 months I had been training nothing but ST fibers and muscular endurance. And as it turns out, you need to have some efficient FT fibers and a ton of ATP for limit singles."

Heavy 20 rep squats will most certainly train fast twitch as well as slow twitch fibers.

The primary reason 20 rep squats don't build absolute strength relates to the nervous system. You need very low rep training to allow the nervous system to optimize absolute force production capability in a given movement.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Todd R Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
The primary reason 20 rep squats don't build absolute strength relates to the nervous system. You need very low rep training to allow the nervous system to optimize absolute force production capability in a given movement.
Chris:

DE/speed workouts are done at lower weight/higher rep counts. I take it that the "speed" of the movement ALSO trains the nervous system to optimize force production, similar to low rep training with heavy weights. Is this correct?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Jared Harvey

Profile:

Great post.....Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Graeme Moore

Profile:

So about an hour ago I decided to try a little experiment. I've run a breathing squats program before so can testify to the mass building benefits, just thought I'd see what other business went on.

Squatted two sets of 5 as per my LP. Heart rate monitor hovered around 75%. Took about 1 minute per set. Burnt 18 calories in total.

Then dropped weight by 15% and knocked out a set of 20. Took 6 minutes, heart rate peaked at 95%, burnt 126 calores in that 6 minutes.