CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Scott Alexander

Profile:
Rogue vs Pendlay squat racks

I've decided that it is time to actually put my home gym together and I'd appreciate some advice. In this installment, I'm going to add a squat rack with a pull-up attachment, a good barbell, and some bumpers (along with some other stuff.)

I see that fringe has a good deal going on Troy VTX bumpers, so I think I'll pick those up. Now, when I'm looking at the rack, Rogue has a pretty sweet looking one (the S2) and Pendlay has something that looks similar, but is $200 less. Does anyone have experience with both who could direct me one way or the other? I've been using a rogue bar at the gym and have been impressed with their quality, but Ive also heard good things about Pendlay and it's significantly cheaper.

Your advice would be appreciated.

As for my goals, currently I'm early in a linear progression with short metcons program. I'd like to make sure that the equipment I pick up will help me continue that. My wife and I just had our first kid, so running out to go to the gym is not going to be a common occurrence.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Kyle Reed

Profile:
Re: Rogue vs Pendlay squat racks

I recently went through the same dilemma roughly three months ago. After weeks of deliberation and research I went with Rogue. I am a bit taller so I got the s3. A bench and s3 ships for 680 roughly the s2 will be a little cheaper. I am unsure on the pendlay shipping but still something to consider. The one inch whole spacing on the rogue and their second to none customer service is what sold me. IS there any specific you have a question about the rig I would be happy to answer.

Congrats on the kid, my son is about 7 months so I am in the same boat and know what its like.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Scott Alexander

Profile:

Kyle,

How tall are you? I'm 6 ft. And Ill have a 9 ft ceiling. I figured the S2 would fit both of those requirements.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i have been looking at both of these. problem is i have emailed both and can't get either company to actually tell me how much weight these stands are rated for
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i have been looking at both of these. problem is i have emailed both and can't get either company to actually tell me how much weight these stands are rated for
Try Rogue's Facebook page, or at least post that you sent an email and haven't heard back. I'm sure the Rogue racks are rated for more than most can squat. Bill even Posted that the spotter arm attachments could easily handle repeated 500lb + bar drops from shoulder height...
Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Kyle Reed

Profile:

I am 6ft 4. the s2 would of just barley be enough for me however I rather of over compensated than under.

rogue has a live customer service on their web site always have gotten immediate answeres through that channel.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Scott Alexander

Profile:

As I was Googling, I found this thread from November discussing the same topic. The cliff notes version would be: Most people prefer the Rogue system, but either could work. I've also gathered that I should plan on bolting it to the floor.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=71264 (wfs)

Additionally, Peter Keller from Fringesport PM'ed me with some info that was very helpful in terms of matching what I get with what I'm going to be using. If you are looking for someone to give you some advice, he may be a good person to contact. They carry the Pendlay rack and not the Rogue, but he gave me a very balanced perspective on both, which I really appreciate.

For what it's worth, I'm going to go with the Rogue S2 with a bench, the Troy VTX bumpers from Fringesport (I'd check them out if you are looking - not as bouncy as the Hi-Temps from what I've read and very affordable), and a Rogue bar. My gym at work has one and I've really liked it, especially for cleans and the like.

Any one have any good ideas on matting? I've heard to go to a horse tack store and buy some rubber mats there, but I wasn't sure if anyone had a better idea. Since it sounds like I should bolt my rack to the floor and I'd rather not put holes in my concrete garage (wife wouldn't like that and I've already burned some brownie points to annex a good portion of our garage), I'm planning on getting some mats, a 1/2 inch piece of plywood and bolting through that. The mats I've seen are 4' x 6' so 4 of them put together in a 12x8 area should do the trick. Am I missing a better way to do it?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Try Rogue's Facebook page, or at least post that you sent an email and haven't heard back. I'm sure the Rogue racks are rated for more than most can squat. Bill even Posted that the spotter arm attachments could easily handle repeated 500lb + bar drops from shoulder height...
um, i think that's what i said. i emailed them and they didn't email me back... rogue did email me back but won't answer my question as to what the rack is rated for... they keep answering the same way you are with "we have had 'x' amount on it" or "it can handle more than most can squat"... when what i ask was what is it rated for.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
um, i think that's what i said. i emailed them and they didn't email me back... rogue did email me back but won't answer my question as to what the rack is rated for... they keep answering the same way you are with "we have had 'x' amount on it" or "it can handle more than most can squat"... when what i ask was what is it rated for.
Ok what I meant was post that exact question on FB and I'm sure Bill could tell you.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Scott Alexander

Profile:

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but on the Rogue site, it states that the S2 is tested at 1,000 lbs. That's found under the Additional Info tab. Perhaps this will suffice for you. If you are looking at failure testing, I imagine that's something you'd have to get from their engineers. Tim's recommendation or PM'ing Bill directly may yield you that. Let us know if you find out something. It'd be cool to know that I could load 5,000 lbs on my rack without failure. Then I could definitively know my squat 1RM...

Scott