CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Travis Rask

Profile:
Rogue Dog Sled

Thoughts? I already have the Westside Butcher...not sure if this would be worth it.

http://www.roguefitness.com/dog-sled.php (WFS)
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Boris Lau

Profile:
Re: Rogue Dog Sled

If you have the Westside Butcher, don't think this is worth the money. Even if you didn't have a prowler, your money would probably be better spent on one instead of this dog sled
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Alexander Martin

Profile:

Sleds pretty much all do the same thing. If you have one already there probably isnt a need for another one...although Rogue builds awesome stuff and I am sure this sled would not let down.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Brian Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
If you have the Westside Butcher, don't think this is worth the money. Even if you didn't have a prowler, your money would probably be better spent on one instead of this dog sled
Borris can you elaborate more? What makes this sled worse than a "prowler" type of unit?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I'm curious as to what the advantages/disadvantages are to this over the prowler/butcher?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Ty A Ketlinski

Profile:

...and where do you home-gym people use these? On the street (where you'd get strange looks from your neighbors) or do they work on your lawn. I have been reading the Wendler 5/3/1 manual and he seems to be a big fan of the sled.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
James Orr

Profile:

I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable using it in the street in front of the house.

I'm wondering which to order as well. I wish I could just go to Ohio to try them!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable using it in the street in front of the house.

I'm wondering which to order as well. I wish I could just go to Ohio to try them!
Out of curiosity, does it make a lot of noise? Eventualyl I'll get a sled to use on my street, but I think I get weird enough looks as it is, what with my filming myself lifting in the garage with loud music and all. Apparently, the neighbours think its weird.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Sleds make noise but not more than any local lawn mower crew cleaning up someones yard. It's a low level scrap/dragging sound. I have a long asphault driveway and have done most of prowler and sled dragging work there. I've also done it in my lawn. The lawn is quiet, but gets beat up by the prowler and a little bit by the sled. I like the consistency of asphault better than the bumps of the lawn, but you can drive better with your feet on the lawn if you use cleats (more beating up of the lawn). I guess for lawn care, I'm almost 100% asphault now.

No real damage done to my drive, you can't even see if its been sledded, prowled on. I imagine it probably decreases the time between reseals and repairs, but I think it is worth it.

None of my neighbors have complained about my sled or prowler use, and I've done it as late at 11PM.

Actually, my neighbor asked me if I injured my back and if that is why I was pulling my sled. Just told her I was crazy.

It's fun watching people stare as they drive by.

If you are handy and can make stuff, you might want to make a tire sled or get an empty wheel barrow case and drag it, and once you have money get a prowler thing. If you aren't handy and need to buy your gear (like lazy me), I'd start out with a sled and eventually get the prowler. Prowler is best for conditioning work. Sled is OK for conditioning in a metcon sense and good for rehab work, longer type of conditioing and some strenght work.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Sleds make noise but not more than any local lawn mower crew cleaning up someones yard. It's a low level scrap/dragging sound. I have a long asphault driveway and have done most of prowler and sled dragging work there. I've also done it in my lawn. The lawn is quiet, but gets beat up by the prowler and a little bit by the sled. I like the consistency of asphault better than the bumps of the lawn, but you can drive better with your feet on the lawn if you use cleats (more beating up of the lawn). I guess for lawn care, I'm almost 100% asphault now.

No real damage done to my drive, you can't even see if its been sledded, prowled on. I imagine it probably decreases the time between reseals and repairs, but I think it is worth it.

None of my neighbors have complained about my sled or prowler use, and I've done it as late at 11PM.

Actually, my neighbor asked me if I injured my back and if that is why I was pulling my sled. Just told her I was crazy.

It's fun watching people stare as they drive by.

If you are handy and can make stuff, you might want to make a tire sled or get an empty wheel barrow case and drag it, and once you have money get a prowler thing. If you aren't handy and need to buy your gear (like lazy me), I'd start out with a sled and eventually get the prowler. Prowler is best for conditioning work. Sled is OK for conditioning in a metcon sense and good for rehab work, longer type of conditioing and some strenght work.
Okay, fantastic to know. I actually have an old wheelbarrow thats broken (at the wheel part), and I was intending to turn it into a sled. What should I use for straps? Maybe I'd get a strap from rogue, its $25, but I'd rather that than a cargo strap because of the clamp constantly banging against the sled or getting in my way and whatnot. Although I'm sure there are options I'm not thinking of.

Also, what should I make the hole with for the strap?
I guess I'll weld a piece of 2 inch pipe to the base of the barrow.