CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Chris Lamarque

Profile:
Returning to training after back surgery....

Ive been Crossfitting for about a year and a half, and recently had to take about four months off due to a back injury. Six weeks ago I had surgery on the disc between my L4-L5. I planned on returning to training next week and have been wondering what my route of attack should be for getting back at it. Im moving really well and the pain has just narrowed to some muscle tightness in my lower back. I have some ideas in mind but wanted to see what other people thought... I would like to be back in enough shape to at least give the Open a good shot.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:
Re: Returning to training after back surgery....

IMHO, I am not sure you'd want to hit the Open right away. I had L5/S1 surgery back in 2005; and while I *could* lift back at capacity 6 months later, I know there's NO way I could handle what I now am able to do during my WODs every week.

While I don't want to give specifics (that's best left to a medical professional) I CAN tell you that there are specific exercises that I need to do to ensure my back remains strong in the right areas/in the right ways. E.g., swiss ball planks and 'roman chairs' and the like.

Aside from that, I'm sure you'll do fine
Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Chris Lamarque

Profile:

Thanks for your input. I was messing around in the box yesterday, with snatches(singles) and surprisingly did pretty good without pushing too hard. At the same time, I realized that its definitely not ready for any touch n go work, or any lifts during actual wods. I didnt have any problem with the pulls, but when it came time to bring the bar down I could feel the "weakness". I thinking that I will just stick to a strength program for awhile working on technique, core, attachments, and then some body weight stuff for wods and metcons.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

That's probably an excellent idea. I will say this - I'm lifting at >100% capacity now, and was about a year after my surgery, specifically because I took the time to focus on form, core strength, and the like. I'll occasionally tweak a muscle down there, but other than that, I'm good to go. So it's not like you'll be limited forever, of course.

This may sound crazy, and may not work for you, but for some odd reason, what helped me out quite a bit as far as just keeping in shape and loosening up/strengthening my muscles was - an elliptical trainer. I'm serious! LOL I got clearance to use one of those about 2 months after my surgery....and it loosened so many tight muscles and the like it was almost an orgasmic experience. LMAO But it didn't hurt my back, is one of those exercises that works everything without being high-impact, and so on.