CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
If the WOD calls for 95lbs barbell thrusters and you only have dumbbells what amount should you use?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Jeff Wright

Profile:
your question was sort of answered back in this thread
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/13897.html

It seems that the rule of thumb is that 80lbs with dumbbells is roughly equivalent in difficulty to a 95lb barbell. I've only used dumbbells for thrusters, so I can't speak from experience.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

I would like to revise my position from the earlier thread. The ratio of equivalency depends so much on what type you're used to training with. You get good at what you do. When I first started training with dumbbells 80 lbs. seemed to equal 95. As I got more used to training with dbs and less with barbells, 90 lbs. with dbs started to seem more equivalent to 95 lbs. on a bar.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Jeff Wright

Profile:
That makes sense. I imagine that someone who has trained exclusively with dumbbells would have an easier time transferring to the same amount of weight on a barbell than vice versa.

Last time I attempted Fran, it was with 2 44lb dumbbells and I clocked in at 13 minutes and change, with broken sets of thrusters. Next time I think I'll try it with 40s and aim for under 10 with unbroken sets. If that works, I'll move back up toward 90-95lbs.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
I would like to see what Tom Corrigan, or Eric, or Josh(or anyone else who's tried them) would say about his discoveries now about using 2x16kg KB with maybe double reps? 2x24kg KB for the 21-15-9? and using the 32kg KB for 15,12,10 vs 95# barbell for fran. I only have DB=90#(I always wondered how it compared to a BB-ive never done it) 2x1.5pd, and 1x2pd to experiment with.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
I agree with Ross that once you get used to using DBs and/or KBs, you can get closer to the Barbell weight.

Did Fran with a pair of 53# KBs and it totalled 106#. Seemed about right for a Fat Fran wt of 115# on a Barbell. A pair of 44# KBs would probably be comparable to a 95# Barbell, and a pair of 35# KBs would be so with a 75# BB.

A suggesstion I have to add some VARIETY to your thrusters is to try it with 1 heavy KB, for 10-12 reps per arm. Try doing them with a 70# KB, and maybe do 10 reps a side if you weight under 175, 12 reps if you weight 175-200, and 15 each if you're over 200#. This would be less weight, but would focus on more shoulder strength and stability. You could also do it with a 53# KB doing the thrusters, but hold a 35# KB/DB down by your side (anchored). To do this you 1 arm suitcase DL the 35# KB, then clean the 53# kb with the other arm and do 10-12 thrusters. Put the weights down, switch the 35# to the other side, DL it, clean the 53# KB and finish your thrusters. Anchored exercises are a great way to tax your legs/body when you don't feel comfortable moving up to a bigger KB on a one armed exercise. Plus, it evens out the weight distribution, so that there is a bit less torque on your spine.