CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Jerod Furnice

Profile:
Considering the Sectionals, But Not Sure

A buddy and I are considering going to the San Diego sectionals. We have only been doing crossfit since last August though, and while we have made great strides, are still nowhere near where the "firebreathers" are. We would love to go to these sectionals and give it everything we have in the spirit of competition. I can probably say pretty safely that we're not making it to Aromas. I still think the experience would be a worthwhile one, though. We are both security contractors and people from our team have run the JFK 50, and taken part in other sporting events as well, so there is team support element that comes into play as well (they are looking forward to us competing).

The issue I am having, is that if there are limited slots available, I would feel pretty bad if we went to the sectionals just to give it what we had, and we took up two slots that would otherwise have been filled by people who had a legit shot at Aromas.

For now, we're planning on registering, but I just wanted some input from the outside so to speak. Should we continue as planned, or scratch it?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Considering the Sectionals, But Not Sure

I say compete. Anyone who is serious about competing should have no problem getting registered unless they wait til the last minute, so don't worry about taking up slots that someone else could use. I think I've got a fair shot at making it to regionals but a very low chance of making it to Aromas, but I'm competing anyways since if nothing else the experience will be a valuable one for upcoming years.

I would check up on which sectional you fall in though--the SD sectional doesn't go any further north than SD county. You're probably fall under the SoCal sectional (north of SD country, south of SLO county) that'll be held at UCLA.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Do it! It gives a purpose to your training.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Definitely compete. I plan on entering again and expect to get my butt kicked but that doesn't mean I'm not going to give it my all.

Don't worry about taking someones slot, if they wanted to go they would have registered.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerod Furnice View Post
A buddy and I are considering going to the San Diego sectionals. We have only been doing crossfit since last August though, and while we have made great strides, are still nowhere near where the "firebreathers" are. We would love to go to these sectionals and give it everything we have in the spirit of competition. I can probably say pretty safely that we're not making it to Aromas. I still think the experience would be a worthwhile one, though. We are both security contractors and people from our team have run the JFK 50, and taken part in other sporting events as well, so there is team support element that comes into play as well (they are looking forward to us competing).

The issue I am having, is that if there are limited slots available, I would feel pretty bad if we went to the sectionals just to give it what we had, and we took up two slots that would otherwise have been filled by people who had a legit shot at Aromas.

For now, we're planning on registering, but I just wanted some input from the outside so to speak. Should we continue as planned, or scratch it?
I've met a LOT of people that were in your position and didn't compete. All wish they had. Never have I met somebody, regardless of how they finished, that wasn't happy they gave it a go.

Basically - If you go, have your *** handed to you, and come in last place - you'll be happy you tried and you will be more prepared for next time.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Wade Smith

Profile:

Drop the ego and go compete.

Every successive year, as CF has grown larger, it will become more difficult/competitive to be able to participate.

Case in point:
2008: Anyone could compete in Games.
2009: Not everyone could compete in games, but everyone could compete in regionals.
2010: Not everyone can compete in games or regionals, but everyone can compete in sectionals.
2011: Who knows?

Maybe this year is your only chance, to be realistic.
Hey, I competed in the Norcal regionals last year. I can brag about that five years from now when it becomes virtually impossible to do so
Old 12-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

My wife and I started Crossfit Thanksgiving weekend 2008. A few months later at the affiliate we train, guys started talking about the NW regionals that were going to be in May 09. I thought that it would be great just to go down to Seattle for the weekend as a spectator or volunteer since we did not have much experience. After thinking about it for a day and then talking with our trainer, Tony at CF Alaska, I was convinced that it would be a let down to not compete at the NW regional. Richelle and I went down with about six others from Alaska and competed. We set PRs on our lifts, had to scale the WOD and had an excellent time competing, meeting new people with very like-minded fitness goals and aspirations as well as watched some very inspiring physical performances.

Bottom line: Hit the WODs hard until your respective sectional, sign up and compete. Look at it as a really intense WOD in a huge CF box with a huge whiteboard. You might not be at a level to win everything or go on to the next level, but you will thank yourself at the end of the competition.

Another way to think about it...do you intend on winning every triathlon, marathon or half-marathon just because you entered it? I like the challenge of training and competing with myself (and the other 40 year old males out there....).

Hope this helps,

Bryan
Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
My wife and I started Crossfit Thanksgiving weekend 2008. A few months later at the affiliate we train, guys started talking about the NW regionals that were going to be in May 09. I thought that it would be great just to go down to Seattle for the weekend as a spectator or volunteer since we did not have much experience. After thinking about it for a day and then talking with our trainer, Tony at CF Alaska, I was convinced that it would be a let down to not compete at the NW regional. Richelle and I went down with about six others from Alaska and competed. We set PRs on our lifts, had to scale the WOD and had an excellent time competing, meeting new people with very like-minded fitness goals and aspirations as well as watched some very inspiring physical performances.

Bottom line: Hit the WODs hard until your respective sectional, sign up and compete. Look at it as a really intense WOD in a huge CF box with a huge whiteboard. You might not be at a level to win everything or go on to the next level, but you will thank yourself at the end of the competition.

Another way to think about it...do you intend on winning every triathlon, marathon or half-marathon just because you entered it? I like the challenge of training and competing with myself (and the other 40 year old males out there....).

Hope this helps,

Bryan
Great post Bryan!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Greg Safko

Profile:

I agree with everyone's replies. I am a 1.5 year Crossfitter and can't wait to sign up for my sectional. If only to see how I compare to other athletes in my area, then signing up is well worth it. I'll admit, my chances to making it to Aromas might not be in the cards this year, but I do think I have decent shot at getting to regionals. And if I don't, at least I have the experience of the competition and know how to better train and prepare myself for 2011.

Just man up and sign up! I'm sure after the fact you won't be posting that you regretted it.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Rachel Wood

Profile:

I say go for it!!! In fact I am a similar position (started CF August this year) and I'm planning on competing at the regionals. Very low chance of making it but I'm pumped for the experience, the focus, and all the great competitors I am going to meet.