CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
Donn Venema

Profile:

When doing plyo box jumps during a WOD like Fight Gone Bad, or the recent Kelly WOD, do you go to full extension while standing on top of the box? In the Exercises section, there is a slide show demo of Box Jumps which not only shows full extension, but explicitly mentions it as part of the movement. There is also a video demo, in which full extension is definitely NOT attained on top of the box. The video jumper seems to be "rebounding" off the top of the box as well as off the ground, without worrying about extending the hips while on top. I went back and watched that great FGB video that was posted with the WOD on February 11, and I see the box jumps done both ways there.

I have always done as fast as I can without full extension, as in the demo video, but after reading someone's comment for the last FGB, I did the jumps with full hip extension at the top of the movement. While my score improved in every other exercise, my jump score plummeted. And my strong (but untested) impression was that, while full extension took me longer, it also was easier metabolically, even though I was going as fast as I could. The longer mechanics of the movement seemed to make it impossible to keep my HR up, and thus provided more of a breather (well, relatively speaking) than doing them faster without full extension. They really seem to be two distinctly different exercises.

I'm not at all concerned about the effects on my FGB or Tabata score. I'll just consistently do them one way or the other for any scored workouts. But after looking at the slide show and video demos, and the FGB video, I'd be interested in hearing how others generally do this movement.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I do box jumps with full extension on the box. Not attaining full extension means the centre of gravity doesn't go through the full range of motion, in essence your hips act as a pivot and your legs swing to the box which is hardly hard work and as far as functional movements go jumping onto something is far more useful than...jump kicking it. If you see someone scoring 40-50 or so box jumps in a minute and 12 sumo deadlifts then they're either grossly unbalanced in their fitness or they're cheating the range of motion.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
Peter Galloway

Profile:

I don't reach full extension per se (I have a dodgy right knee, so I'm a little wary of fully extending my legs), but I do ensure that I am shifting my body mass far enough upwards to avoid the "hip pivot" that Graham describes. In fact, when I land on top of the box (or chair in my case) it tends to be on the way back down.

I find it very tough to move quickly on these - my favourite approach is to fall into a nice rhythm, if I try to force the pace I end up losing my balance.

Funnily enough, I'm about to do FGB, so I'm just procrastinating at the moment! I'll pay special attention to my box jumps whilst doing it! (that, and not losing my lunch!) :uhoh: