CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Does a perfectly-rested person feel pain from foam rolling?

Well, the thread title pretty much sums up my question, but to provide a little more exactness to it...

I've started emphasizing foam rolling to help some minor knee tendonitis. Judging by the clicking sound in my upper hip and prior experience with it, I think I have ITBS brought on by high-rep workouts after a 2 months of SS. I found two spots that hurt particularly badly; one in my lower/central quad that makes the area around my knee burn, and the other which feels like I'm rolling over something solid the size of a pair of golf balls in my mid/outside thigh. I'm curious if all the pain I am feeling are signs of injury/fatigue/bad things. If so, does that mean a perfectly recovered person can foam roll anything with any amount of pressure painlessly? I would like to know so I can judge when I can move from aggressively rolling to recover from injury and move to a less regular maintenance routine. All input is appreciated!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Re: Does a perfectly-rested person feel pain from foam rolling?

Most people who have never been on a foam roller will have tremendous pain in their ITB. Quite a few will also have pain in their erectors, traps, quads, etc. But ITB is by far the worst. It really has nothing to do with fatigued/recovered. The more consistent you are with soft tissue work (foam rolling, massage, etc) - the better it will feel and you'll instinctively know when you can move into a "maintenance" phase.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What Anthony said. The pain you're feeling isn't injury/lack of rest so much as stored tension. To get rid of it, foam roll, get a massage, soak in the hot tub, etc. on a regular basis. To keep it from coming back, perfect your form on all CF movements, stay away from computers, always sit/stand/move with correct posture, and go to at least three yoga classes a week.

In other words, in the best of all possible worlds it might be possible to achieve completely painless foam rolling. In the real world, maybe not.

Katherine
Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Level of pain from foam rolling *tends* to indicate how "messed up" your soft tissues are. The less pain the better, but as Katherine said it may not be possible for it to go away even with the perfect body.

And by pain, it's not really "pain" but kinda like massage pain where it hurts but you know it's gonna feel better afterwards. If it's REAL pain then obviously you may have bigger problems....
Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

By doing it everyday, the pain is less everytime... which I assume it means that you're "less messed up" everytime, if it hurts less.

Also, foam rolling is a workout by itself, lol... just holding your weight in your hands and doing many reps on your IT band, hammies, glutes, hip flexors, etc.. your arms get tired, hah. At least on weaklings like me
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Cody Limbaugh

Profile:

I agree with the above posts and will add one more thing...

I have all of my clients grab the foam roller upon arriving to the gym as a course of habit (if they are able to get on the floor). I find it is a great way to begin the warm up every workout.

As far as the difference between 'aggressive' and 'maintenance' foam rolling...once you are doing this daily and you begin to improve you will just spend less time doing it each day. If you have issues it may be a good portion of your warm up, 15-20 minutes! If you are good to go you can just hit major points of the body in 2-3 minutes then move on to a dynamic warm up...

Hope all goes well for you!

Now- I hope this doesn't post twice as I lost the first one I typed... #$%@!
Cody Limbaugh- CrossFit eXcellence, Lake Oswego OR http://crossfitexcellence.com (w/f safe) 'Excellence is not perfectionism-nobody is perfect,but every one of us can strive to live a life of excellence.'-Mike Woods
Old 03-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Thanks for the advice everyone. My transition from SS to WOD in December was brutal and required much foam rolling, so I'm not sure why I thought I'd get away without it this time. The soreness is slowly going away, and I hope within a week or two to be in the range of "mere discomfort." Gotta stay with it!