CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Andrew Durham

Profile:
Japan/Kanagawa?

How many CrossFitters are there from the Kanagawa area?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Andrew Durham

Profile:
Re: Japan/Kanagawa?

I would eventually like to open a box (affiliate) in the area, and was wondering how many people in the area would be interested in one.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Michael Mayrseidl

Profile:

Good idea depending on whereabouts in Kanagawa you are.

You could definitely pick up initial business from the following with a little nous;

1.) Marines/Airforce/Navy from bases like Yokosuka, Yokota, Camp Zama, maybe that little base out in the Tama Hills etc. Those boys would be well into it.

2.) If you were to open close to the southern outskirts of Tokyo you would have a captive Expat Gaijin market (would need rail access from Shinagawa) There are stacks of sport and health conscious expats in Tokyo who have no choice but to work out in those truly BIZARRE Japanese globo gym equivalents. I know for a fact my Rugby team in Tokyo would be very interested in someone offering Crossfit style WODs. Closer to Yokohama - I would imagine YCAC Rugby club at Yamate would be interested too. Plenty of other sports teams and clubs to hit up in the greater Tokyo/Yokohama area.

3.) Finally I think the local Japanese themselves would make awesome Crossfitters. They have that compact gymnast/lifter build naturally. Also they have that culturally ingrained attitude of "do your best, don't give up, don't embarass the team!" I think if anything you would have to make sure that Japanese client's didn't overtrain once introduced to Crossfit.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Andrew Durham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mayrseidl View Post
Good idea depending on whereabouts in Kanagawa you are.

You could definitely pick up initial business from the following with a little nous;

1.) Marines/Airforce/Navy from bases like Yokosuka, Yokota, Camp Zama, maybe that little base out in the Tama Hills etc. Those boys would be well into it.

2.) If you were to open close to the southern outskirts of Tokyo you would have a captive Expat Gaijin market (would need rail access from Shinagawa) There are stacks of sport and health conscious expats in Tokyo who have no choice but to work out in those truly BIZARRE Japanese globo gym equivalents. I know for a fact my Rugby team in Tokyo would be very interested in someone offering CrossFit style WODs. Closer to Yokohama - I would imagine YCAC Rugby club at Yamate would be interested too. Plenty of other sports teams and clubs to hit up in the greater Tokyo/Yokohama area.

3.) Finally I think the local Japanese themselves would make awesome CrossFitters. They have that compact gymnast/lifter build naturally. Also they have that culturally ingrained attitude of "do your best, don't give up, don't embarass the team!" I think if anything you would have to make sure that Japanese client's didn't overtrain once introduced to CrossFit.

Michael,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the exact same thing about the military bases. I'm not in the military, but do work on Yokosuka Navy Base. I would eventually like to drop what I'm doing here, and start up something in the area. I was curious to see if I'd get any hits from other people (on or around base). Yokohama area would be a good area too. That would be my first choice on future expansion. I have friends that live in the area that I know would attend a session or two. Startup costs in that area begin to become a factor though. I saw a nice place the other day, prime location (close to Minatomirai), that ran for 120 万 a month though. I'd have to find a benefactor or two.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Michael Mayrseidl

Profile:

I would be looking to "convert" a hapa or bilingual Nihonjin to Crossfit and initially partner up that way. Like I said in my first post - I think the right Japanese guy (or girl) would go nuts for Crossfit!

Having run businesses in Japan several years ago I can tell you that every aspect of business becomes about 8 million times easier if you have a Japanese local on board. Espec. for things like negotiating leases, registering companies, applying for insurance. Going it alone as a Gaijin is.....well you can just guess how hard that is.

Like I said - your target market demographics would be; Military personel, expat workers espec. in trade and finance, sporting teams and local Japanese health enthusiasts. If you go for it I would recommend you think long and hard and continuously tinker with your class make up in terms of ratios of Gaijin military/gaijin expats to local Japanese and also sex ratio (ie. don't scare off potential local clients with what they will consider as too many big muscly sweaty scary Jarheads)

Best of luck, if you ever get it off the ground, post a thread and I will let my contacts in the Japanese rugby and expat finance communities know.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Andrew Durham

Profile:

Thanks for all the good advice Mike. Fortunately for me, my wife is Japanese. I have a couple friends with businesses over here that I know would be willing to help out. I'm above conversational, not quite business, level Japanese too. I'll also have residence here pretty soon, hopefully making things a little easier. Once, if, everything gets going, I'll post its GRAND OPENING.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Andrew Durham

Profile:
Talking Re: Japan/Kanagawa?

Anymore takers? Or shall I say seekers?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Tina Yakuwa

Profile:

Not quite in your neighborhood, but excited to see CF blow up in Japan!!

best!
Tina
Old 02-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Aaron Treadaway

Profile:

I'm new to CrossFit, very new, but I like the idea and would welcome a real gym in the area. Let me know how it goes, will come along and see...
Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Andrew Durham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Treadaway View Post
I'm new to CrossFit, very new, but I like the idea and would welcome a real gym in the area. Let me know how it goes, will come along and see...
Aaron,

I shoot you a PM when things start geting closer.

Cheers