CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Michael Knaisch

Profile:
Globo Gym "CrossFit Friendly"

Does anyone know what the CFHQ rules are on "Globo" gyms that advertise that they are "CrossFit Friendly" if they do not have CF Level 1 Instructors and have not paid an affiliation fee?
As an affiliate owner that has paid to get their Instructors Level 1 certified and has paid the annual affiliation fee I feel that this should not be allowed. Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Anthony DiSarro

Profile:
Re: Globo Gym "CrossFit Friendly"

are they trying to suggest that they are accepting or willingly to allow CF type workouts in their facility? Or are they offering Crossfit?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

I would interpret it as saying they have the equipment and space that would make doing a CF workout possible. Not necessarily that they are trying to advertise as a cf training gym.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Dan MacDougald

Profile:

HQ very much appreciates having such things reported to them. In fact, they depend on such reports in their efforts to protect the CrossFit brand name. But they need much more information before they can even investigate.

What gym is it? What is their web address? Where on their website or print material the advertisement you speak of?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Michael Knaisch

Profile:

This is a local Gold's Gym that I was told may be putting signs in the front advertising that they are "CrossFit Friendly." Right now I believe they are just saying that they allow people to crossfit which isn't the problem. From my understanding when reading the FAQ's is that you can not use the name "CrossFit" unless you are an affiliate.
Don't get me wrong...of course people should be able to crossfit anywhere they please. It's the use of the name that is of issue with me.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
Ron Gaza

Profile:

To me it sounds like your upset that they're taking business away from you.
I think it would be wrong for them to say they are offering CrossFit classes but they're not from what your saying. Maybe they're saying they understand how awesome Crossfit is. That they have all the equipment CrossFit uses so come down and train here so you don't have to go broke getting equipment for your home gym.

CrossFit friendly sounds like baby friendly, handicap friendly, olympic lifting friendly to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Knaisch View Post
This is a local Gold's Gym that I was told may be putting signs in the front advertising that they are "CrossFit Friendly." Right now I believe they are just saying that they allow people to crossfit which isn't the problem. From my understanding when reading the FAQ's is that you can not use the name "CrossFit" unless you are an affiliate.
Don't get me wrong...of course people should be able to crossfit anywhere they please. It's the use of the name that is of issue with me.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
Michael Nauman

Profile:

Sound to me they are using the crossfit as an adjective sense. Not claiming to provide Crossfit but allowing people to workout themselves with crossfit ideology. They aren't running the business or selling a service called Crossfit. I don't know Apple was suing people over putting an i in front of a product name because it was to closely associated with the ipod. But apple hasn't sued for the claim for podcasting. So maybe more appropiately it should say 'crossfitting friendly'
Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
Michael Knaisch

Profile:

All great replies. thanks for the input. I just wanted to make it clear that we encourage folks to do crossfit anywhere...whether it be at our place or somewhere else. I am not concerned about losing clients to the globo gym world. Again, the only issue I have is using the crossfit name that we, as affiliates, have paid for.
The points you have made make sense. I think its great that they allow crossfitting as most gyms are apprehensive to allow it.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Michael Nauman

Profile:

just because the gym management allows it now doesn't mean the mass clientele does. they would out number the crossfitters 10 to 1. If it takes off, all the hamsters on the treadmills will complain and they(CF'ers) will get the boot soon enough anyway and it will be dis allowed again. Don't get a treadmill hamster scorn they boo hoo till they get appeased. So its just a matter of time in my opinion banned again.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Mike Feliciani

Profile:

They are trying to gain business by using the crossfit name. I don't think it is cool at all. I love that people can do crossfit there, but I don't like that they put a sign out. It would be like me making medballs and kettlebells and putting "Great for Crossfit" on the package. I'm benefiting from the name with no consideration being paid back to Coach. I get what you are saying about not teaching classes, but it is the brand of the business drawing people to that gym to perform the cf wods. Competition is fair game and if the globo gyms are going to move towards offering equipment in a space for you to perform the wods, then I have to be ok with that. They are using the brand to sell it though. They can advertise the features of their open space to perform gymnastics, rowing, kettlebells, olympic lifts... but to use the name in a sign is the draw that gets them the revenue. It is a fine line, but they have crossed it.