CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
Ryan Cho

Profile:
Re: Weighted Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Leung View Post
Dragonball Z style eh
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Do I even need to explain what's wrong with this statement? You're finding solutions to the wrong problems.
Yes, apperently you DO need to explain what's wrong. The fact that I'm carrying 50-100lbs of extra weight is exersizing in itself, why run around for no reason wasting time if I can just turn what I do everyday into an exersize? It's not at all a problem I have, I'm perfectly fine. I just want to build myself up stronger, similar to if my weight was increased, yet volume stayed reletively the same. I don't care for brute strength, the fact that someone can benchpress Xlbs isn't too impressive if they can't carry around that weight all day. I have my want and that's why I came here. Are you really going to tell me what my problem is when you haven't taken the time to find out? Maybe my problem is that I want to go backpacking for a year, carrying a lot of weight on my back? I'd appreciate it if you didn't act like I'm stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sharp View Post
How about chain mail?

(wfs) http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-app.../generic/9080/

I would suggest pairing the shirt with this (wfs): http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-app...s/a733/?cpg=ab

No one will mess around with you at the office.
My inner geek wants that so badly >_>. But I'll get it next year on holloween or something. *opens like to the helm* MUST....HAVE..............
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Ryan
What you need is a copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories, not some silly plan ripped from a cartoon show.

There are so many other things that need saying, but, given your previous posts, so little reason in saying them.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Cho View Post
Exactly.
I'm perfectly fine. I just want to build myself up stronger, similar to if my weight was increased, yet volume stayed reletively the same.
It may make sense in your mind but it doesn't work that way in real life. Obese people are not strong because they carry around extra fat. In fact among the other health risks, obesity hurts joints.

Quote:

I don't care for brute strength, the fact that someone can benchpress Xlbs isn't too impressive if they can't carry around that weight all day.
The truth is that anyone who can deadlift 2.5xBW and squat 2xBW can easily carry around that kind of weight all day. Someone who is not strong and carries around weight as a strength training goal risks injury. Little weights do not make you stronger.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #14
Pat Harker

Profile:

My favorite line in the ad..."Chain Mail is the new Black".
Old 12-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #15
Lee Hill

Profile:

Ryan, you're posting on a fairly hardcore exercise forum, so expect some to dismiss your intentions right away. Defending your intentions by talking about big benchpressing is way off the mark, if you'd spend some time looking at the site, you'd realise the key phrase is 'functional' fitness.

More pertinantly, are you happy with your excess baggage? Being that overweight is NOT healthy long term, however you dress it up or defend it. If the most you're prepared to do is walk around pretending to be 20lb fatter and kid yourself you're meaningfully exercising, well, that's your choice, as is the right to ridicule by others. If you'd like to change your shape and are prepared to do more then fair play, ask some questions. You don't have to start with the WOD, but moving faster, more, coupled with a long hard look at you're nutrition would be a good start.

I'm put in mind of friends who tell me they want to lose weight, tell me they've done some press ups this week and are suprised their belly hasn't decreased. They then tell me not to begin advising them to cut down on beer and rubbish food, because they enjoy it. It's like when my 2 year old complains she's tired but won't go to bed and resents being advised to do so.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
Ryan Cho

Profile:

Umm...where are you guys getting the idea that I'm overweight? I said in my first post that I was slim. FIRST! Hell, I'm borderline underweight if anything (6 feet tall and 145lbs). So I dunno what extra baggage I shouldn't be happy with Lee, or what obesity has to do with my case Shane (seeing as how I have no intention of getting into the obesity range with weighted clothing), but it would be nice if you didn't assume and read more about my condition. Also, 20lbs isn't exactly the weight I had in mind (look in my last post, I clearly said much higher). It's just all I had lying around my house.

So there's no benefits at all to increacing weight? Can't jump higher, you don't get used to a much larger ammount of weight on you, nothing? Are those just rumors?

Last edited by Ryan Cho : 12-10-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #17
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
The fact that I'm carrying 50-100lbs of extra weight is exersizing in itself...
Both myself and Lee read that as "I'm 50-100lbs overweight." The use of a present tense verb in that sentence portrayed a different image than you wanted it to.

Anyway, I stand corrected. What you need a copy of Starting Strength, not some sill plan ripped from a cartoon.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #18
Lee Hill

Profile:

It was the bit where you said you were carrying 50-100lbs of extra weight. I read that as meaning you were carrying fat.

I'd be sincerely interested to hear how your experiment goes Ryan.

You haven't made clear what benefits having extra weight on you for most of the day you expect to recieve.

If I may ask, how old are you? Your answer to this might put some of your ideas in a context I understand, because at the moment I have no idea where you're coming from fella.

Last edited by Lee Hill : 12-10-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: unsatisfactory grammar
Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
KT

Profile:

This thread is hillarious, had me crackin up so bad. I love it.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #20
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Umm...where are you guys getting the idea that I'm overweight? I said in my first post that I was slim. FIRST! Hell, I'm borderline underweight if anything (6 feet tall and 145lbs). So I dunno what extra baggage I shouldn't be happy with Lee, or what obesity has to do with my case Shane (seeing as how I have no intention of getting into the obesity range with weighted clothing), but it would be nice if you didn't assume and read more about my condition. Also, 20lbs isn't exactly the weight I had in mind (look in my last post, I clearly said much higher). It's just all I had lying around my house.

So there's no benefits at all to increacing weight? Can't jump higher, you don't get used to a much larger ammount of weight on you, nothing? Are those just rumors?
I didn't assume you were obese, I am making a point.

Read it again: obese people carry around extra weight in fat. You carry around extra weight in equipment. Obese people do not get strong because of this. You will not get strong because of this.

Carrying around 50-100# of extra weight at bw 145# is absolutely ridiculous. The Army Special Forces PT preparation guide does not even suggest humping more than 50# more than a few hours a week, and you're talking about wearing 50-100# every day with no previous training!

Weighted equipment can be very useful but not in the way that you are suggesting.