CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Servia Rindfleish

Profile:
Training for Ultimate Frisbee

Hey guys,

I play ultimate frisbee, and a lot of my training is geared towards my game. (If you’ve never heard of ultimate, here’s a highlight reel: ) Basically, there’s a ton of endurance, sprinting, jumping, lunging and diving involved. youtube.com/watch?v=ICk2Ty9cE5o

As of now, I’ve been regularly following the WODs, and doing a track practice with my team once per week, too. What else can I do to improve my performance on the field? Should I be doing anything else?

Also, the person who is in charge of improving our fitness this season sent out this workout called "SNERTZ". I’ve been skeptical of many of the workouts we've been assigned to do in the past, so if you could tell me what you think of this "SNERTZ" thing, I'd really appreciate it. I’m supposed to do it once a week in addition to my individual training and the team track workout. Basically, I’d like to know whether it’s worth my time and energy, or whether I'd be better off doing something like a "Helen" or olympic lifting instead.

Thanks for your time!

Servia
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SNERTZ.pdf (13.1 KB, 4962 views)

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 07-21-2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 07-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Dave Parmly

Profile:
Re: Training for Ultimate Frisbee

Servia, my 13 YO is a huge Ultimate player. He "coached" our Scout Troop's team at Scout camp this year (they lost to the Staff in the semis). I'll share this with him!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Maddie Melnick

Profile:

The length of it simulates the length of a real game. There's a lot of sprinting and agility drills which is good for ultimate. I don't play ultimate regularly or anything but I might try this workout just for fun.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Keenan Lightner

Profile:

I had many friends in college that trained for ultimate by smoking doobies. Wait, no....that was frisbee golf.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Dave Parmly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie Melnick View Post
I don't play ultimate regularly or anything but I might try this workout just for fun.
Ahhhh, a true CF sentiment. "Fun"? Did you say "Fun"?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Maddie Melnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parmly View Post
Ahhhh, a true CF sentiment. "Fun"? Did you say "Fun"?
ahaha. Yes, for fun. I ran cross country all through high school so I like running. This workout is pretty sprint heavy so we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Ian Haya

Profile:

I'll offer my opinion as a recreational Ultimate player and a recreational CrossFitter.

I think the workout seems a bit long. Although it's meant to simulate a real ultimate game, the length and volume of it will reduce this large grouping of "explosive" exercises to an endurance effort. Even if everything is done at "100%" effort, effort does not equal output. You can only do so many plyos before you're actually slowing yourself down. Also, throwing a disc is more pull than push, so doing a bunch of pushups and no pullups won't really help.

If you're following the CrossFit WODs at full intensity, then I don't think your endurance will suffer by skipping this. You should be at a better level of conditioning than your peers that aren't doing CrossFit.

As far as additional stuff that might be more worth your time that will actually improve your explosiveness (speed, jumping, diving) would be to add 5-10 min with recovery of short sprints, shuttle runs, plyos stuff before a CrossFit WOD. Stop once you feel yourself slowing down. Then rest and recover 5-10 min before you start the CrossFit WOD. Also, I'd alternate the sprints/plyos with some Oly lifting, heavy squats, and maybe work up to some weighted pistols. Oly lifts and squats will do more to increase your vert than plyos and should give you that quick "first step". Same thing with the Olys, once you lose your explosive Power, then it's time to stop.

Also, if you have access to rings, really work pullups and dips and try and work up to a muscleup. This should give you good shoulder health along with the Olys for some nice long hucks and hammers.

Last edited by Ian Haya : 07-10-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

I'm basically in the same boat as you as i'm training for soccer. Training to be 90 minutes fit (being able to play a 90 minute game at a good intensity) is FREAKIN HARD. You should check out the beep test. It consists of running between two cones set 20 meters apart . You play a tape and on each beep you have to touch the cone. as the tape goes on the beeps become more frequent so you're going faster. it is a pretty well known test for D1 soccer schools and is used in a lot of police tests in the UK and Australia.
topendsports.com/testing/tests/20mshuttle.htm

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 07-21-2008 at 05:09 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 07-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Noel Welsh

Profile:

leanandhungryfitness.com (work/family safe) is an excellent fitness blog with a slight Ultimate emphasis (the dude who runs it plays Ultimate). His lead post right now links to a bunch of articles about training for Ultimate. In the past he has linked to some excellent advice. Take a look.

The consensus is similar to Crossfit, but I think you'll want to work more change of direction and short distance sprints.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Did Frisbee become a college sport while I wasn't looking?