CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
G'day!

I'm a new poster here, but have been following Crossfit for about a year (minus two months for injury {not related to Crossfit!!}). I can certainly say that it has changed my life, and for that I'm grateful!

I have a question about abs and sleep. I looked through the archives before posting, so if there's something I missed, please point me in the right direction.

1. I know abs and Crossfit go together like white on rice, but is there a source document I can point my more scientific friends to?

2. What does sleeping do to help you recover from a workout?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Abs....how? Importance of midline stabilization, all the abmat stuff, what?

Oh dear. You asked about sleep. Hahahaha. Sleep seems to be responsible for about a half dozen rest and repair mechanisms that almost no one can agree on. The primary function of sleep might be relieving neurological oxidative stress and allowing for repair- it seems to be a good one so far. There are all manner of metabolic and hormonal changes that seem to piggyback that in general seem to be about using yout guaranteed downtime and the associated surplus cellular energy to build hormones, grow muscle tissue, metabolize cholesterol, and some other good stuff. In general, neurological and endocrine systems seem to need time they aren't called on to engage in maintenance, and some other body systems might have evolved to use that same time to their benefit.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Daniel:

I can't point you to a document but evidence (or explanation) is right there in front of you. CF advocates a Zone diet which if carried out effectively and for a sustained period, should get you to 8-10% body fat. Most people won't have a six pack (if that's what you're after) above around 8% BF.

In addition, there are tons of core exercises in the WODs and the warmup. The combination of low body fat and working the abs pretty much daily accounts for the appearance of your abs.

However, I don't think there are many people on the board who admit (publicly anyway) to doing CF to get a sixpack. It's hard to tell in the videos but I would hazard a guess that some of the most impressive CFitters and heaviest O-lifters don't have sixpacks. They could no doubt push press one of those ripped models appearing on the cover of Men's Fitness so I don't think sixpacks should be your focus.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
The more you do of THIS--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dehwang/156353936/

--and THIS--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dehwang/166399700/

--the more you'll look like THIS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dehwang/158008058/
Old 06-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Thanks for the inputs!

Like I've said, I've been following the workouts for about a year. I'm also trying to get the military community at my base involved with Crossfit, and so far, it's going pretty good. I give an unofficial "demo" to the base fitness leader class and talk about it with practically everyone I meet.
The only problem is that no one wants to spend the money to make it official, so I was hoping that by having research to support Crossfit, I could take that higher up the chain of command and ask for the dough that way. There are a couple of other ways I'm thinking about, too, but it's a start.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
There's a study in one of the journals as I recall about the effectiveness of CF when compared to the Canadian PT program. That's the sort of research you need.

When Napoleon said an Army fights on its stomach, I don't think he was referring to having a sixpack!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Mark Reinke

Profile:
Um I still had a six pack when I was around 15% about a year ago. It's more about the overall development of those muscle groups, not BF% entirely. Besides six-pack beach muscles are there for show, cross-fit muscles are for knocking teeth out and kicking ***!