CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Parth Shah

Profile:
Pull-ups in daily life

Whats the practical use of pull-ups in our daily lives?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Pull-ups in daily life

Pulling anything?

I'm pretty sure we use our arms to pull stuff.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Yeah don't forget that the muscles used in doing a pullup aren't ONLY used when you're pulling your body weight up to something.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Parth Shah

Profile:

I'm asking simply because having a convo with a friend who claims that bicep curls are functional. In fact, he hates the word "fucntional." So I posed him a question: where do you use bicep curls in your daily life? After a long explanation, he posed the question back to me. Just trying to figure out how to rebuttal.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

I don't recall any pulling movement we do that has an isometric shoulder component with an actively moving elbow joint. It's always reaching for stuff and pulling like a row or climbing up on top of something like a pullup.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Ben Cook

Profile:

I suppose (and i might get some grief for this) bicep curls can be classed as a sort of functional movement, such as carrying something, shopping etc. but that doesn't mean they are an exercise worth being the main movement in your workout, by no means.

Pull-ups can be funtional for example, if running away from something/someone you get to a fence, this also echoes the fact pull-ups can be more functional the chin-ups (supinated) due to not being able to put your hands through the fence to grasp a supinated grip.

But as someone said above, they train the muscles, that pull/lift most things in most positions, including Disco Dan's biceps.

hope that helps.

B.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Well here's my oppinion on this. Maybe someone like Steven can give a better answer to you, but this is just what I think. It depends on what kind of daily life you're talking about. If you're talking about the kind of daily life where someone wakes up, goes to work from 9-5, comes home, goes the grocery store, eats dinner, watches tv, goes to sleep, rinse repeat...I don't think either one matters at all. I've heard arguments that you use a curling motion when you carry groceries or whatever, but my mom carries groceries just fine and all she does is run. I'll be honest, most days I don't use an ounce of the type of strength that I like to train for. There's just no call for it. If his argument is that curls are more functional for carrying things I suppose he's making the point because the positions of the arms are similar, but the bicep strength you would get from pullups would be more than adequate.

However, let's say it was the everyday life of rock climber, police officer, lumber jack, escaped convict.... In any situation these guys or girls would find themselves in I can't see how pullup strength wouldn't be better. For almost any real world movement you're going to try to recruit as much strength as possible by using your body as a whole. So if you're pulling yourself onto something, or pulling something toward you, you'll be using alot more muscles than just your biceps (although that will be one of them). I really can't think of a movement you can do other than a bicep curl that involves only the biceps. Other than carrying a grocery bag...and we've already covered that.

Just my take on it.

Edit: I guess Steven and others already beat me to it Also, I don't like to proof read. So sorry if there's an abundance of errors.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Edward Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth Shah View Post
Whats the practical use of pull-ups in our daily lives?
Police officers, firefighters and military have to constantly pull themselves over fences / obstacles to do their job and this one reason why crossfit fits in so nicely to what they do. If you are a pin head and sit at a desk all day....I dont know what to tell ya!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Parth Shah

Profile:

Thank you for everyone one's reply. My friend's argument was that the role of the biceps is to simply flex the arm, and so it doesn't make it more or less funcitonal than a chin-up. The chin-up does not cover all the directions that an arm can be flexed. He also stated that cheat curls would benefit throwers and other athletes and that strongman, arm wrestlers, all use heavy curls in their program.

He also doesn't agree with the jump over the fence argument, nor does he feel that pullups or chinups mimic the movement of climbing a tree.

As you can tell, this guy doesn't follow crossfit, hence there is conflicting ideologies. I was thinking of conceding this concept of "carryover to daily life" and simply stating why I personally do not do barbell curls. My goals are not the same as a strongman or powerlifter.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:

This is amusing. Challenge him to climb a tree/rock/building. If he doesn't do pullups regularly and you do, you will blow him out of the water. If you are climbing correctly you are using your legs as much as possible, but someone with a stronger pull will generally win. There are far more occasions where pullup strength will come in handy over a curl. Sure you can curl something to get it above your shoulders, but a clean is far more effective anyway.