CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-17-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Anjum Cheema

Profile:
New Crossfitter from the UK saying hi.

Hello everyone.
Just thought I would introduce myself to the forum. I have been aware of the crossfit system for exactly 2 days now. I was browsing through the June issue of muscle and fitness at the gym and there was an extensive article on crossfit in there. It got my attention and upon arriving home, I went online to the crossfit website. The next day which was yesterday, I went into the gym and completed the baseline program advocated by Petranek fitness for all beginners, that was outlined in the article. It goes as follows:

500m rowing
40 Squats
30 Sit ups
20 Pushups
10 Pullups

I completed the first 4 parts in probably 5mins and then got stuck on the pullups. I did 4 reps initially and then after a rest another 2 after which I could only do singles until completion. My final time was 8:47 so those pullups really held me back.

My stats are 6'1'' tall, 210lbs at around 20% body fat, age 38 years young.
I have been into exercise for most of my life and have been lifting for about 12 years. As you can see from my bodyfat, I am not in ideal shape right now although I do look quite muscular in the shoulders, arms and chest but I cant even remember what my abs look like.

I have used just about every bodybuilding program out there including high volume programs and low volume. I found that lately low volume worked better for me. I started with the 5x5 program a few years ago and more recently I have been training using the legendary 'DC' training system which is great for building muscle but not so good for anything else. My school years where spent in team sports, x country running and athletics (track) so in a sense I am going back to my roots with crossfit.

To round things up, I think this could be the system I have been looking for all these years.

One more thing. Although today is officially an off day on the WOD, Im going to attempt yesterdays routine which is 'michael' as I am working tommorrow and therefore will use that as an off day instead.

Peace.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
Scott Jenkins

Profile:
Re: New Crossfitter from the UK saying hi.

Welcome to Crossfit Anjum, your background sounds very similar to mine. I was bodybuilding for about ten years before finding Crossfit. You are going to get so addicted to this training as it is so diverse and every day is different. Not only will you get stronger, leaner, faster , but all the new skills and challenges are such fun to learn. I have been Crossfitting for about 4 months now and not only has my fitness soared, but also my strength has finally started growing after about three years of plateau on the bodypart routine i used to do.

Great to welcome a new UK Crossfitter and visit us on the workout logs and i recommend starting your own log on the message board. It helps to track your progress and you get to know other people. PS dont underestimate Michael today , it is a Hero WOD !!!
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 05-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Welcome to the cult. It will take over your life. In a good way!

Have fun with it. There a lot more to it when you scratch the surface.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
Geoff Kegerreis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjum Cheema View Post
Hello everyone.

I completed the first 4 parts in probably 5mins and then got stuck on the pullups. I did 4 reps initially and then after a rest another 2 after which I could only do singles until completion. My final time was 8:47 so those pullups really held me back.
The pullups are always the *** kicker in my workout. I'm not a dedicated cross-fitter, but I incorporate a good deal of reps of cross-fit exercises. Pullups are always the hardest for me.

For a real kicker, try an "L" pullup now and then.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Anjum Cheema

Profile:

Thanks for the welcome guys and yes the 'Michael' was pretty tasty. I have'nt sweated so much in years. My main priority now is to learn how to kip.
Can any of you UK people tell me if there is an affiliate near Yorkshire. I know of 4 in the UK, London, Manchester, Newcastle and Scotland but these are all a bit far away. Manchester is the nearest at about 45miles away.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 AM   #6
Stephen Georgiou

Profile:

Hi Anjum,

Where in Yorkshire are you exactly? Im in Sheffield.

I dont know of any crossfit 'affiliates' nearby though.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Chris Worrall

Profile:

Hi Anjum, at the moment I think Crossfit Manchester is the nearest Affiliate to you. It is worth making the trip to one of the UK affiliates as soon as you can, if only to get a form check on some of the basics like your squat which carries over into so many other movements.

the class times are here http://crossfitmanchester.com/page5.htm (wfs)

Come and give it a try, you won't believe the difference training in a group environment will make to how hard you are willing to push yourself. Your first session (or week if you can make it over more than once that week) is free, and if you like it, there are various levels of membership available depending on how often you fancy making the trip over the Pennines.

Stephen,
Mark at Crossfit Derby http://www.crossfitderby.com/index.htm (wfs) also holds group classes, I'm sure he won't mind you contacting him for more information if that would be more convinient to travel to
Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Anjum Cheema

Profile:

Nice one Chris. I definitely intend to come over there soon. As for my form on the squat, its horrendous. I fractured my right ankle many years ago playing soccer and as a result I have had a weakness there. My ankle mobility is limited and this makes it extremely difficult for me to keep my heels down in the bottom position. I have been working on it a lot over the last few days and any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Aidan Gillespie

Profile:
Re: New CrossFitter from the UK saying hi.

Hi there Anjum

I was just wondering whereabouts you train. I am in Bentley / Doncaster and have found that CF Manchester is just too far away. I've been down a couple of time though, and found them to be a good bunch with excellent trainers. I would prefer to train somewhere a bit more local though.

Anyone else out there doin CF WoDs in Glob-gyms / or on their own. Maybe we could organise some training!!