CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
David Meverden

Profile:
Working out with girlfriend/ "Couples" workouts?

I would like to workout with my girlfriend this weekend but am not sure what kind of workout to do.

Background:
I've been doing crossfit workouts more regularly for around 3 months now and am very fit by normal standards, and am doing descent by crossfit standards (7 min fran, ~625 CFT, 35 min murph. Gotta get some o-lifting coaching now!). Before xfit I did largely heavy bag work and sandbag/bodyweight workouts in my apartment, with occasional gymnastic workouts on the side.

My girlfriend has done running, yoga, and some other misc workout stuff. She has shown some interest in how I workout: We’ve going running together, I've spent a couple of sessions teaching her how to punch a heavy bag, and she joined me for a relatively easy crossfit workout with some local people, all of which she’s enjoyed. She can do some pushups but has not had much strength training.

Now, my goal is NOT to try to push her to into becoming a crossfitter. Some failed attempts at that with co-workers, and now reading some other threads here on that topic, have confirmed my decision to let her either take initiative on that or not, as she would like.

What I WOULD like is to do is to occasionally workout together, whether that workout would be true crossfit stuff or not. I think working out and getting sweaty together is fun, and a good activity to become closer with someone.

So, what kind of workouts do you guys/girls think would be good to do with her? I’m trying to think of stuff where we would switch off, such as taking turns doing rounds on the punching bag, or where we are working together to finish something, such as some of the “tag team” type couples workouts I’ve seen occasionally in demo videos.

The hard part is coming up with something where we will BOTH get a pretty good workout, yet she won’t feel intimidated or like she’s doing bad due to her lower work output than mine (I'm thinking that would happen if she struggled way more with her parts of the workout than I did with mine).

Any thoughts?
Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Working out with girlfriend/ "Couples" workouts?

Someone didn't look through the exercises and demos.

wfs
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...ldingGymWO.wmv
Old 05-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Thanks for tracking down the link, Steven. I do like the idea of one partner spotting the other for exercises, as shown in the video (those partner situps are pretty cool, hehe).

Problem with that one, though, is that it's too advanced. She's never done cleans or push jerks, and, apart from the fact that I'm not proficient enough to teach them, I'm not sure she's too interested in learning them.

As I said, I don't want to push her into doing TOO much crossfit stuff if she's not asking to get more into it, so I was thinking of sticking to simpler moves for her (squats, some kind of pushups, situps, etc, or punching bag stuff we've been working). Just not sure how to put it together into something that would be fun and challenging for both of us (though the spotted handstand pushups for me would be a good one).
Old 05-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

When my boyfriend and I Crossfit together one of us does the WOD while the other times, keeps track of reps, and corrects form and offers encouragement (or just yells a lot). Are you looking for a more communal workout, one you do together?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Are you looking for a more communal workout, one you do together?
Yes, if possible. In some of the other threads on getting significant others into crossfit it's been suggested to send them to an outside trainer at first so they don't compare their performance to that of some who's been doing it a while. Makes me think that it might not be the best if we are doing scaled versions of the exact same workout, it would seem like we are head to head. Which brings me back to the workout Steven linked to . . .

Substitution! Why didn't I think of that before? Could easily adapt the workout shown in the link Steven put up there for less skill demands.

Sub thrusters or push press or shoulder press for the jerks
Sub light dumbell or sandbag deadlifts for the cleans
Sub normal situps where I hold her feet for the assisted situps (or leave those if she's up for them).

Hmm, that would be all right. Maybe up the reps if the subs were too easy.

Still, I'd be happy to hear if anyone else has suggestions for other workouts.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, I'm glad you thought up substitutions all by yourself. Cause well it's fairly easy.

Theres tons of exercises in the exercises and demos section that you can use. Just use variations of pushing, pressing and legs really. It's hard to mess up bodyweight exercises if you really can't think of any good barbell ones that don't require much skill (although most don't except oly).

Either that or just pick some of the girls and modify them. That's probably the easiest.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
Jerry Maestas

Profile:

when my wife and I go together we just work at our own pace. I show her her scaled or replacement exercises before we begin and do the CFWU together. Then we hit the WOD on our own. I usually finish first so then I offer her encouragement to finish and push herself and offer help when she needs it on form and intensity.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Maybe run threw Tabata's or knock around Cindy for say....10 minutes instead of 20.

Keep it simple.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Maybe run threw Tabata's or knock around Cindy for say....10 minutes instead of 20.

Keep it simple.
I'll second this. The first true crossfit WOD I did with my lady was Cindy. We scaled to pullups and she loved it. Now she's hooked as well.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i have found that workouts with s/o's usually ends up with sex.

awesome