CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Sean Lewis

Profile:
Born to Be Alive...Born to Be A Xfittr

My name is Sean, and I am a newbie. A friend turned me on to this frenzy, and I can truly say it is a humbling experience. Question to the fitters out there. Is it okay to be humbled by this, because looks can be deceiving. Just when I think I got the hang of it, HUMBLE kicks me right in the butt. I feel like when I stop, I am defeating the purpose.

Help..

Signed,

Born to Strive.

P.S. Does it matter that I am not at a crossfit gym?

Last edited by Sean Lewis : 05-15-2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: entered more info
Old 05-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Brendan Hurd

Profile:
Re: Born to Be Alive...Born to Be A Xfittr

There is nothing wrong with being a little humbled by the workouts because everyone is and that is the beauty of CF. There is always another skill, another step, and another level to try and get to. Alot of it is mental and making youself realize your body can do one more rep and it can pick up that bar 5 seconds earlier.

As far as not being at an affiliate it really depends on you. I have a hard time keeping my intensity up when i am alone and find that at the gym there is always a little extra motivation whether it be the trainer or just the guy next to you who is now 2 rounds ahead. Also the amount of support and encouragement you get at a gym goes a long way, even if your DFL in a WOD everyone is still cheering and pushing you to finish. There is something special in that.

Keep working and you'll get there, take each does of humility and turn it into determination to get better.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

I agree with Brendan. I work out by myself in a Globo Gym for now...although I wish I could be in an affiliate.

Everyone gets humbled by workouts...the most important thing for me is to always set a new goal after each WOD. For me that helps me stay focused and determined. For example....I was just under 16 rounds for Cindy today...but I know next time I can hit 20. The only way that's going to happen is if I work my *** off from now until then.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lewis View Post

P.S. Does it matter that I am not at a crossfit gym?
Not at all Sean. Crossfit is a state of mind, not just an address.

Welcome and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

I work out at a globo gym. And I'm a relative newbie, doing it for 3 months now. So, while my weights are not as high as others and my time is slower than many, I still workout a LOT harder than many others who come to the gym and slave over the elliptical. While I'm humbled at every WOD (Still can't do a pullup and just learnt a handstand today), every WOD is a challange for myself to do better than what I did the previous time.

And I have fun doing it!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Sean Lewis

Profile:

I AM SO MOTO (MOTIVATED) FROM THE RESPONSE(S). I will enjoy the ride. Thx guys.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Sean, when newbie clients of mine are humbled or frustrated or struggling with a WOD, i show them the the cardio bunnies wasting their lives on crosstrainers, ishow them the ignorant poor souls devoting 1 1/2 hrs or more of their workout to bicep curls and pec-decks and ab-rollers, and then i remind the newbie that already we have achieved more in the 2-3 rounds of the Crossfit warmup than the others can hope to in a fortnight of their 'programs'.
Stick with it, and look at each WOD as an indicator of your weaknesses, and then attack those weaknesses with gusto until they become part of your armoury, not a chink in your armour
Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Robert Newman

Profile:

Where you work out is up to you. An affiliate would be awesome especially if you're just starting out. The lifts can be somewhat difficult to learn on your own, but picking up a bit of reading material can help with that. I work out at my school's recreation center, which is basically a globo gym. Learn to embrase the weird looks you get they wil come hehe, definitely when you get kipping pull ups down.

nothing beats people staring as you go through 30 pullups mad fast
Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Sean Lewis

Profile:

All Cross-Fit Guru's....I know there is more to this than just XFITTING. Nutrition is half the battle. I have a 2 yr old with very limited time. I am not the only one with kids, but, i cannot find the right diet..I am willing to focus my attention to the cause, but just looking for the right passage. Any takers..Please help

Yours Truly,

Desparately Seeking Nutrition
Old 05-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
Sean Lewis

Profile:

[Fat loss is a consequence of sound training and nutrition]All Cross-Fit Guru's....I know there is more to this than just XFITTING. Nutrition is half the battle. I have a 2 yr old with very limited time. I am not the only one with kids, but, i cannot find the right diet..I am willing to focus my attention to the cause, but just looking for the right passage. Any takers..Please help

Yours Truly,

Desparately Seeking Nutrition[/quote]