CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
Dave Clary

Profile:
Recovering from "Too Much Too Soon" Syndrome

I'm afraid I'm guilty of something that is probably common among those who "get religion" at a relatively late point in life. Last Sunday I was working in the yard and decided to try a reverse-grip pull up on the swing set. The good news is that I actually got my chin to the bar. The bad news is that I tweaked a muscle in my upper back. Monday I went to the gym and it felt ok so I tried a routine mixing dumbell thrusters, jumping pull-ups, and dips on the Gravitron. I woke yesterday morning feeling pretty sore. This morning I had a hard time brushing my hair!! The soreness is in the upper back, and the right bicep near the attachment point at the elbow. So I'm looking for recommendations on where to proceed from here. I'm planning on doing some squats and some tabata sprints on the bike today, but when and how do I go about getting my upper body back in the game? TIA!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Brent Hilton

Profile:
Re: Recovering from "Too Much Too Soon" Syndrome

Dave,

I had the same problem with pull ups when doing them. It happens randomly, but I tweak a muscle between my shoulder blades right next to my spine. I've tried a number of different solutions, but the best thing I've seen (judging by results) is to: A) go to the chiropractor the same day it occurs and B) take a short 30 minute massage focusing on that one area. The next day I feel good as new.

It works for me ... maybe not for everyone.

Brent