CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Daniel Goldin

Profile:
tendonitis of the bicep?

about 4 years ago i dislocated my left elbow in a wrestling match. Ever since then the health of my shoulder has been going downhill as i have trouble locking out and doing moves like bench press just doesnt feel right. Right now my left shoulder feels a lot more loose... like my scapula has a tendancy to come out more compared to my right. My brother is in med school and I told him the front of my shoulder always feels tight and he said its prolly tendonitis of the bicep. Usually it just feels tight and sore but the other day I had actual pain for the first time. I have been doing lots of cleans jerks and front squats as well as swimming and playing water polo. I guess I am going to have to give this a rest for a lil. I am going to make an apt with the doc tom and see what he has to say...I go to Uinv of Fla and I can see a sports doc for free so I am going to do that. But does anyone know how long I will be out for? Any good rehab exercises you can think of. I have been icing, and taking ibueprofein and lots of fish oil.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: tendonitis of the bicep?

Where does it hurt? Preferably you can save photo onto your comp, open it up in an image editor like paint, mark where it hurts and then upload to a free image host like imageshack.

Also, what exercises does it hurt on?

wfs
http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscu...menu/image.gif

Could be biceps tendonitis.. might not be. If you have poor posture as well as poor mobility of the shoulder it could be that as well. There's tons of stuff which is why the shoulder is complicated... need more info.

Sports doc for free is nice. Keep us updated.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Daniel Goldin

Profile:

when it did hurt i was getting into my car to drive... i sat down and reached out to grab the door and i felt a sharp pain in the front of my shoulder where it connects to the bicep... i think my posture is pretty decent... my dad is a chiro and he has been commenting on my posture thoughout my whole life so i def take notice to it... i just feel like i have difficulty keeping my capula retracted on the left side... like when i do heavy bench presses it is practically impossible for me to keep it in... but only on the left side
Old 01-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Loose left scapula with the poor retraction leads obviously to rounded shoulders and a tight chest and all of the anterior muscles which can lead to pain. That's generally why I try to look at that first since most of us have poor posture. This could be the case or at least a contributer to your problem.

Really to get the scapula to activate do TONS of reps either with light weights or unweighted.. basically just focusing on squeezing it tight on every rep. This will help activation in any other strength work and such that you do.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Daniel Goldin

Profile:

i try to do lots of stuff like that... My fav is scapula pushups on a soft surface so you can really drive your elbows back... What about my elbow thing? Do you think my weakened elbow is causing my shoulder to do this?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

With a problem at the shoulder area? Hmm, that's kind of doubtful. If there was something neurological maybe but that's not the case. An elbow problem with the biceps, for example, if it's tendonitis will manifest itself usually at the elbow not at the shoulder (aka usually at the insertion not the origin).