CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Stephanie Marie

Profile:
Back Extenion - Machine

This is going to seem like a goofy situation, but I was doing yesterday's WOD and found it difficult to do the back extensions on the equipment provided at the gym I use. I'm relatively short, just under 5'1", but I didn't think this would really be an issue. I had the machine on the smallest/shortest setting, but it was still almost painful because I felt like I was reaching/stretching just to do the exercise.

I'm new to crossfit (but not new to training), but is it possible to do these on a balance ball instead? I work out at a Lifetime fitness and this seems to be the only piece of equipment they are seriously lacking in as they only had one, and it definitely is not for someone under 5'2".

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Back Extenion - Machine

Officially, good mornings are a sub for back extensions. Personally, I don't think they are remotely hard enough to work. I did hear some advice recently to do straight-legged deadlifts with a kettlebell, however, which seems like a much more reasonable sub.

Edit: As to balance ball, yes, I think you can. Not sure how good that would be, though.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Stephanie Marie

Profile:

You know what, I didn't even think of good mornings and I generally have them in my normal routine. I'm going to have to try that next time. I have good form on them, I definitely know my limits, and they are an exercise I enjoy doing. That is a great idea! Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

High fatigue and an exercise which is already kind of dangerous doesn't strike me very well. Straight-legged deadlifts are roughly the same motion. If you want to do weighted good mornings though, make sure you keep good form.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Annlee Hines

Profile:

I have used Good Mornings, Good Mornings with a 25# DB, and back extensions on a ball with my feet hooked on a rack. Note that (for me, at least) the feet must be stabilized in both the up and down direction, to keep from rolling around on the up move and the down move. I find the GMs with the DB the most physically tiring over all, though my back actually feels like it's working harder on the ball. That may be a result of the stabilizers in play. I'm not ready to grab a plate and add weight while on the ball :stir: ... yet.