CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Norm Ford

Profile:
Purestrength and Pendlay Bars

I've been lurking here for awhile, and wanted to thank everyone for all the great insight. I recently started to piece together my home gym and have two questions. Does anyone have any experience ordering from the site purestrength. Also, are there any distinguishing characteristics that would distinguish a Pendlay 20kg weightlifting bar from other olympic bars?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Purestrength and Pendlay Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ford View Post
I've been lurking here for awhile, and wanted to thank everyone for all the great insight. I recently started to piece together my home gym and have two questions. Does anyone have any experience ordering from the site purestrength. Also, are there any distinguishing characteristics that would distinguish a Pendlay 20kg weightlifting bar from other olympic bars?
A Pendlay 20 kg Weightlifting bar is built to I.W.F. specifications for size and weight and carries a lifetime guarantee. It has great knurling and whip and is good enough that competitive weightlifters use them to train. I think that it is the best bar out there for under $400.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:29 AM   #3
Norm Ford

Profile:

Ahmik, the specs, whip, and user feedback is the main reason I am interested in this bar. But does Glenn put any physical markings or serial numbers anywhere on the bar so someone could tell the difference of his bar from an Ivanko or York? For example, I have 45lb bumpers from Wright Exercise that have their name and phone number right on the side if the plate.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Ahmik, the specs, whip, and user feedback is the main reason I am interested in this bar. But does Glenn put any physical markings or serial numbers anywhere on the bar so someone could tell the difference of his bar from an Ivanko or York? For example, I have 45lb bumpers from Wright Exercise that have their name and phone number right on the side if the plate.
There is a P on the end of each sleeve. You can also tell because of the black oxide shaft and chrome sleeves.

Ivanko prints their name on the end of the sleeve of some bars as well.

Some York bars have York Barbell printed on the sleeve right next to the shaft, others do not say anything.

If you know these bars you can tell them apart based by design, but I have not seen one with a phone number on it like Wright rubber.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #5
Norm Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmik Jones View Post
There is a P on the end of each sleeve. You can also tell because of the black oxide shaft and chrome sleeves.
That's exactly what I trying to figure out. Now I am just waiting to see if the bar I ordered will actually show up. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Fred Paepke

Profile:

Norm-

Be sure to fill us in on that bar. I almost ordered one from Sean last week, but his answers to my questions came off as evasive. I decided to that saving the cash from his free shipping wasn't worth the worry so instead I ordered directly from WFW.

-Fred.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
Dan Heaney

Profile:

I saw a link on here on Performance Menu in the last day where you could get a Pendlay training bar for $119.00. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.crossfitequipment.com/ind...on=show_detail

Last edited by Dan Heaney : 12-19-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Norm Ford

Profile:

Fred,

After your reply I am a little more worried about the transaction than I was to begin with. I placed the order on Sun. My card was charged Mon. But I still have not received a confirmation or tracking number to give me the confidence the bar has shipped. I'll give it a few more days if nothing comes of it I'll call the credit card company and have them cancel the transaction. The deal seemed too good to be true.

Fred-what was Sean so evasive about? Have any others had experience with purestrength?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
Fred Paepke

Profile:

Quote:
Fred-what was Sean so evasive about? Have any others had experience with purestrength?
Norm - I'll PM you my questions and his answers and let you decide what was going on. I may have jumped to conclusions or maybe I didn't word my questions very well and/or he may not be very good at explaining himself via email.

Honesty, I should have PM'd you from the beginning as I don't want to dog a vendor. The more CF vendors we have the more new gear at great prices we have to choose from. Everybody wins.

-Fred.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #10
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Heaney View Post
I saw a link on here on Performance Menu in the last day where you could get a Pendlay training bar for $119.00. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.crossfitequipment.com/ind...on=show_detail

Dan,

This is for a plain steel version of the CrossFit Bar made by Glenn Pendlay rather than a Pendlay Training bar which costs $359 plus shipping from authorized resellers. This plain steel version will not be around long, because they are selling fast.

It has the same knurl, but different steel and different bushings than a Training bar. For most CrossFitters a CrossFit bar is all you need, but if you are a competitive weightlifter you will want to use the training bar, because it will feel like what you will be using in competition.