CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-11-2004, 03:46 AM   #1
bill fox

Profile:

Got a Smarvest from smartvest.com. One of the best products and companies going. Vest litterally fits like scuba gear, no movement or movement restriction. The weights are 1/4 flat squares.

Of course when I got it I ignored all the advice from the owner of the company and loaded it up to the full 24lbs. Worked fine for BW circuits like:

20 hindu sqauts
10 hindu pushups
5 chins
done 10x continuous

Started doing some treadmill running at 5mph and after talking to Forrest, the smartvest guy, again, he convinced me that I should lighten it up.

He stressed the idea was not to use it as a weight, like adding weight with a belt and a plate, but to do your workout the same as you would without it and slowly increase the weight in the vest.

I am now using 10 lbs in the vest to run @ 6.4 on the treadmill. Since the weather broke I've been running 3 miles outside then doing something like 5 pullups or 8 chins alternated with 15 pushups or 10 hindus for 5-10 rounds. Yesterday I took it off after the run and did 8x25 speed pushups like nothing. KB snathces are amazing in the vest. Jumping rope is great in 1 minute intervals mixed in the circuit.

I alternate that with loading it 20lbs for the cals and doing lower reps.

My body feels great, not beat up. I think this is my favorite training method now. I am also going to try adding some light heavy hands for the runs.

Another "older" athlete and I were discussing how at some point you have to figure out how you're going to stay in the condition you want to be in forever. I think I may have done that.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
Geoff Sample

Profile:

Bill, I've looked at weight vests before including the X-Vest, and even considered making my own. I've been hesitant to spring for ($) what appears to be a pretty low-resistance addition to my aresnal.

What interested me in your post was how you mention that doing common activities (like KB snatches, etc) in the vest impressed you. I would guess that based on your Maxercise experience, you're not easily impressed with a workout or implement. What made the SmartVest different for you? What change does it make to your workouts?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #3
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

have you felt it helps with your running endurance?
how much weight did he suggest you use when you first start running with one on? how many miles you doing?
sounds interesting
Old 04-11-2004, 09:42 PM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I saw some research recently about people that wore vest 24/7 for a few weeks. They improved their vertical jumps 10%. They were not "untrained subjects". Oh, they didn't wear them to bed. I think they called it accentuated gravity training or something like that.
I will try and dig up more tomorrow. It is something that I am planning on experimenting with this summer.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:11 AM   #5
bill fox

Profile:

I've used the Smartvest, the weightvest.com one, the reebok "ironwear" and the xvest. The smartvest is literally transparent when you're training. In fact he slight compression even makes you feel "tighter" and enforces good form.

For running they recommend starting real light, like 4 lbs and building up. I have been running 3-3.5 w/ 10 lbs but this week I'm going to do some 4-5 and go with 8 lbs (my BW about 190).

Tyler is correct and Forrest is working on something that will be so thin, with a lower top weight, that it can be worn under a suit or anything.

The vest allows me to use less "outside" weight while getting more metabolic effect. Ive always loved BW and combat condtioning type training (MA backround) but at a certain level of fitness the reps get silly. The vest allows me to do those workouts without doing 100s and 100s of reps. Instead of having to move up to 2 pood KB, and deal with the elbow and shoulder strain, I can put 20lbs in the vest and use the 1 pood and get wiped in the same time with half the weight acting on the joints.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:45 AM   #6
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
Bill:

Great post and good info, thanks.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Bill,
I totally agree. There are two ways I know of progressing in bodyweight exercises. One is gymnastics progression and the second is the vest. Both are excellent.
Have you tried combining rings and the vest? I will do so tonight and report back.
Last night I went to the park and put my rings over a swingset and parallettes on the ground nearby. I ran sprints, did dips, pullups and front lever variations on the rings and handstands on the parallettes.
Tonight I will do something similar with the vest on. It should be fun.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:23 PM   #8
bill fox

Profile:

Nice Tyler.

I'm between the new house and moving out of our condo so I'm keeping it simple. Now that Steve's done Pan Ams we'll get the rings hung and I will definetly play.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:57 PM   #9
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Sounds good. I did that workout tonight with the vest.
Running up hills alternated with:
Pushups, dips, l-sits and body rows on the rings. Did a few jackknives as well.
I had 12 lbs in the vest. Workout was probably 25-30 minutes and rest periods were long enough to catch my breath, so pretty generous rest periods.

I can't imagine wearing the X-vest all day. It's a little bit bulky and definitely shows underneath clothes. But what the heck, maybe I'll do it late in the summer.

Tyler
Old 04-12-2004, 08:07 PM   #10
Roy

Profile:

I plan on investing in a vest, but dont know which one. The smartvest looks the best as far as versatility and comfort goes, but Im leaning more toward the 50 lb one at weightvest.com. You can strip the weight and once 50 lbs is not challenging anymore(unlikely), I can always order the 25 pound attachment. What do you all think as far as the actual "weight" of the vest goes?

Cheers

Roy