CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Which have you found the most effective in preventing a potentially nasty infection, after having a few layers of flesh removed by the wrestling mats?

1. disinfecting sprays (fancy chemicals)
2. hydrogen peroxide
3. alcohol
4. betadine
5. other?

Thus far, I've been a "scrub with soap and water when I get home" kinda guy. However, three 1.5 hours classes give the wound plenty of time to fester before I get home... and I've had some not so pleasant results.

Thanks,
Brad

Old 11-29-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
At the old gym everyone was getting staph infections because the Krav Maga guy wore their shoes on the mats.

At my new gym we use a weed sprayer to cover the mats with disinfectant everyday, letting it dry overnight. No one is allowed in the training area with shoes on.

I wash the scratches and mat burn before I leave the gym. Sometimes wipe it down with an alcohol pad.

When I get home I always jump right into the shower and wash up with a Japanese scrub towel. It's a towel that has a sandpaper like texture. It seems pretty good at removing the nasties from my skin.

It looks like this.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21357/33425.jpg
Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
The weed sprayer is a great idea!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Yeah, this is the one we use.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21357/33716.jpg

to spray this

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21357/33717.jpg
Old 12-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
Mark Dowst

Profile:
I just take a shower as soon as possible with some antibacterial dial bar soap.

Some tips are to clean the things you touch when you are dirty. I try to clean my steering wheel and shift nob weekly. Keeping your nails real short makes it harder for them to carry bactiera, also.

I've had staph folliculitis a few times and I've used clearisil with success.

Long compression short underwear and long sleeve wetshirts have also helped with avoiding infection. I've never had staph from a gi session also.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
Dave DeFilippis

Profile:
We keep large bottles of hand santizer in the dojo for after class. We wipe down our swain mats a few times a week with clorox wipes. As stated, shower immediately after class. I have not picked up anything nasty from our mats to date.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:09 AM   #7
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
we just recently had issues with ringworm and staph. we were using bleach and mops. we are now using barbicide and disposable swiffer thingys to clean the mats. you can get barbicide at a beauty supply store for about $20/gal. dilute it with some water. it kills EVERYTHING.
one of the guys uses selsun blue shampoo as body wash after practice. my doctor just gave me an rx for phisohex (also a body wash) which is also supposed to kill just about everything.
just my .02
Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 AM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Brad,
Who is Matt Burns and why would you want to clean him?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Thanks all.. good info. here.

LOL Jeff!

Brad
Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Jamaal Dixon

Profile:
Oh my GUYS please beach and water solution or Mat cleaner clean mats let air dry. MRSA is what you need to watch out for

Here is what I use for my wrestlers at my school I know it may be over kill but if your running a facility you need to CYA

Following the guidelines below will reduce the potential for contracting a communicable disease:
• All wrestlers should shower with soap and water immediately following practices or competitions before leaving athletic area.
• All clothes worn during practice and competition should be washed daily.
• All towels should be washed daily.
• Athletes should carefully and thoroughly inspect all areas of their bodies for lesions or signs of skin disorders twice daily. This includes the entire scalp area.
• Lesions that are identified during self-inspection are to be brought to the immediate attention of the coach and the school’s certified athletic trainer.
• Athletes should bring any questionable lesions on fellow wrestlers to the immediate attention of their coaches and their schools’ certified athletic trainers.
• No wrestler should participate in practice or competition with any skin infection until it is diagnosed, and determined non contagious, by a physician.