CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
OK, so I am sure that every parent loves their children’s involvement in what ever sport or event they may be into. I certainly support mine and have even coached their teams. But come on. This is just freaking ridiculous. To fire the head coach and asst. coach just because they switched your son’s position on the team, IMO is just ludicrous. Now you have a post-season birth that is shot down before it can even get off the ground. I don’t care if you do have influence, sometimes some people need to just stand back and stay out of certain events and let those running it take care of business. It’s not like the switch in position hurt the team. Obviously, the coaching staff knew what they were doing. Now you have a whole lot of angry parents, hurt and disillusioned kids and a league that has suffered just to satisfy the ego of one A-hole. :cussing:

OK, that’s my 2c. Enjoy the article.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/03/AR2006110301819. html

Old 11-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
"This entire league exists so he can play defense on the best team in his weight class. . . . He is my son, I own the league, and he plays every snap on defense."

Classic case of "I don't like you guys anymore so I'm going to take my ball and go home."
Old 11-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
The saddest part is his kid probably hates him for it.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
His kid should hate him for it.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Holy smokes!! I retired this year after 26 years of on and off football coaching, both youth and high school. Our particular CYO program has a tradition of non-parent coaches supplemented by qualified parents, all of whom must be certified. Most of the non-parent coaches have been involved in the program for 8 or more years. When a non-coaching parent offers a "suggestion" the response has always been:"we practice 5 days a week unless we go 6 days, and we play every Sunday. We'd love to have your input. See you at practice tomorrow!" That's typically the only conversation.

The varsity coach at my kids' high shcool resigned last week due to the pain of "outside influences." He apparantly was getting feedack from the school board and superintendent about parent complaints about playing time, position, etc. Can you imagine? With all that is involved in rrunning a school system these people thought it was important enough to be involved in playing time discussions! Horrible.

Fired the coach because his kid played O line. Wow.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
The really crappy part is that this is probably just a SMALL PUBLIC PEEK of the kind of person Dad really is behind closed doors...

I feel a little sick inside for that kid, and any siblings he may have...
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
Bryan Veis

Profile:
A follow-up story in the Post filled this out a little more. In fact, the guy really does "own" the league -- he put out $150,000 to purchase equipment for use by all the teams in a newly established league. Originally, he wanted to fund a league in northern Fairfax County, VA (where he lives), but the organization that oversees youth football in the county asked him to fund one in the south end of the county instead, because there was a shortage of teams there, so he did.

The team has been invited to play in a special post-season game coached by their "fired" coaches, and they will use borrowed equipment if the "commissioner" will not let them use the equipment he purchased for "his" league.

I wonder if his kid will be there. Will the "commissioner" attend? What are his chances of leaving on his own two feet?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
That's pretty big bonehead maneuver. I'm not surprised being a coach and I remember how parents and coaches were when I did team sports. Never had to deal with any parent being the head of a league with that much power but Booster Club parents can rival that much of a pain.

Worse thing is they could have been in the playoffs. I'm sure his kid woulda enjoyed that. I'm glad the kids and parents stuck to those coaches instead of going to the playoffs with that commissioner and new coach.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Nothing me off more than a parent with an attitude at a game. I coach my sons t-ball team and a part of my responsiblities is to umpire some of the lower division games (b-minor). B-minor is one step above t-ball. There was one coach who decided it was ok to cuss me out and threaten me for making "bad calls" in front of all these little 6 and 7 year olds! It was insane! I promptly ejected him and called the game. I had kids crying after that! There is NO excuse for parents, coaches , people of authority to act like that. What made it worse is that his kid was super at ME! This little 7 year came up to me crying and yelling at ME for calling the game and ejecting his dad. I felt so bad for that kid.

I do this cause my dad did it for me and I wanted to be a positive influence to all the kids who may not have a positive image to look up to. Its the least I can do for these little guys. Plus its cute as watching a mob of 5 and 6 year olds chasing after a ball.

Lighten up out there people, your supposed to be doing this for the kids!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:
Lighten up out there people, your supposed to be doing this for the kids!

I agree but unfortunately, parents sometimes let their egos and politics get in the way of their kid's fun. When I coached my daughters basketball games, all I cared about at the elementary and middle school level, was that they try and work on a few basics and the rest will follow. As long as they had fun at it for the most part I did not care. If the ball bounced off their foot and went out of bounds...who cares? The main thing is that it gives the girls something to do on a Saturday morning and it was good and fun exercise. I won't even get into how many dads never show up to support their daughters....another one of my pet peeves. Anyway, there were some of the other coaches that would get visibly and verbally irate at the mistakes which led to either them being spoken to or being dismissed from the position all together.
I've also had my share of run-ins with the "armchair quarterbacking" parents as well.:angry: