CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
Matt McManmon

Profile:

The other day while wrestling I injured something in my left hip. When I stand up straight and take one diagonal step with my left foot and then push my hip out to that direction I feel pain in my hip. The thing is it is in one exact spot. I've pressed around it and it seems to be on the top of a bone.

Seems to me to be something to do with the tendon connections there? Has anyone had a similar injury? I am going to begin icing and taking anti inflammatories ect. Howlong does something like this generally take to heal? I'm pretty concerned being that the hips are so important.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:38 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
I believe "that bone" you're referring to is an anatomical landmark called the greater trochanter and you're right, there are a lot of tendons attaching to it. One other thing to consider (besides tendon injury) would be trochanteric bursitis, in which part of the physical diagnosis is pain upon direct pressure to that spot. Either way, ice and anti-inflam. are the way to go. You might try some slow, full ROM squats in a day or two to see how it feels. Initially, I'd be careful with any vigorous stretching until it has calmed down. If it feels more tight than anything else in a day or two, you're probably on the road to recovery.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Matt McManmon

Profile:

Thanks William.

I didnt even think of bursitis. I do have pain upon direct pressure to the spot. its actually very exact. However, it also hurt the one time I pushed my hip out to test its rom.

Yeah, either way i'll keep to the ice and anti-inflamm. Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Jason Steele

Profile:
Matt-

I had a similar injury a few months back (its almost like a hip pointer injury), only it happened under a heavy ruck on really rough terrain. Some good anti-inflams, and after a few days, try doing some gentle back bridges to stretch the area out. See http://www.tacticalathlete.com/bridgearticle.htm and http://www.tacticalathlete.com/bridge2.htm for some good advice about it. Mine went away after stretching the area out and staying away from being a pack mule for a few days. Chiropractic adjustment will help, but you need to really focus on stretching that area after the initial pain is gone.

Just my $.02

Buck
Old 08-16-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
Jason Carey

Profile:
Matt,

How is the recovery coming along? Do you have a grinding feeling on rotating the leg at the hip joint?

I had a similar injury in judo this past weekend, and am curious as to the expected duration for recovery. I have very little pain walking or doing more limited ROM stuff like deadlifts, but any lateral motion on the affected leg hurts quite a bit. Does this sound similar?

Jason
Old 08-17-2005, 03:47 AM   #6
Chris Longley

Profile:
Jason, sounds exactly like what I has happen - from judo as well I think.

Took a couple of weeks to sort its self out. Could still WOD just fine, but lateral movements were out and I was careful with squats until i had no pain doing them.