CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-12-2004, 02:45 AM   #1
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Hi,

Did my first serious WOD yesterday. This was the first time I've ever felt like throwing up exercising and boy did I.

What I was wondering was, does everyone get a headache? I had a splitting headache for half an hour after the workout. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm not sure. But boy am I hobbling today! :D

Ideas?

Cheers,

Graham
Old 10-12-2004, 05:43 AM   #2
Matt Hilliard

Profile:
I know I get headaches a lot after serious exerption of exercise, when I use to go to Mt. Bike races and race really hard or after a hard training ride My head would hurt for hours sometimes.......are you drinking enough water?

I dont know that this helps you , but I get headaches
Old 10-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
I was suffering from migraines for a decade. These headaches would become triggered by exercise mostly swimming. I started to get these headaches without exercise and for years wasn't able to find the cause. It wasn't exercise induced any longer and they got to the point that I couldn't go to work on somedays and was fired because of them.

Why all this info? Well I found a site which had the dumbest suggestion I ever heard. The person recommended paying attention to "grinding your teeth". He/she claimed that simply paying attention to the tension in your jaw might help. I thought it was crazy but asked my wife if she'd heard me grinding my teeth at night. She said that she did and she noticed that I would also have a "tight" jaw at times of stress. I began to pay attention to this and presto, changeo I've not had a migraine in over a year.

My recommendation...get a physical with bloodwork to ensure everything is ok. Blood pressure and all that. If everything is ok then pay attention to your breathing and how tightly you clinch your jaw during your exercises, rest and during the day. I know it sounds crazy but a tight jaw was my problem and 3 doctors and 1 neurologist couldn't help but give medication. Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:59 PM   #4
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
hi -

i get headaches sometimes when i am really pushing through a wod. the pain is very localized in the back of my head, not the front as would be the case for a migrane.

does anyone get headaches like this?

thanks!}
Old 10-21-2004, 09:00 AM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi gents,

Are you following the Zone diet? I forget the mechanism involved, but sometimes increased sodium intake is required for those on the Zone diet. It was mentioned at the seminar (Coach or Lauren) that taking a small amount of salt immediately post-workout could alleviate the headaches associated with an intense workout.

Just a thought,

Ryan