CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #21
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Is this a muscle up?

What is up with people commenting about him not hitting full extensions on the DL's and cleans? His DL's moved so FAST that I'm curious as to how much time it would have added to do an exaggerated lockout on them. And his cleans... WTF people, he TOYED with them. He bounced from the hole so incredibly FAST, it was a joy to watch. Are the haters meaning to tell me that the last inches of a squat clean is somehow the hardest part? Because I thought it was, by far, the easiest bit....

If you're gonna hate then remember he used 500# and 275#. The CF King Kong workout calls for 455# and 250# (although Josh Everett used 255# I think).

So however short on ROM he was in some reps.... had the weights been as prescribed he would have still toyed with the workout. Just my opinion though.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

Who cares if it was a "proper" muscle up or not? Seriously impressive work.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #23
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Brown View Post
Who cares if it was a "proper" muscle up or not? Seriously impressive work.
Hopefully no one really cares... But I'd like to believe folks would care about the difference in skills, and realize there are different ways to get on top of the rings, and the way he did it was not a standard muscle up.

You don't have to read into that fact that anyone thinks this was not impressive or to be heralded and respected.

Now the folks talking about no repping his DL or Cleans...different story, and there's room for argument there.

Food for thought though, if he was using LESS weight than Josh Everett used, and was not an ex-olympic athlete, would you care more??
Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
What is up with people commenting about him not hitting full extensions on the DL's and cleans? His DL's moved so FAST that I'm curious as to how much time it would have added to do an exaggerated lockout on them. And his cleans... WTF people, he TOYED with them. He bounced from the hole so incredibly FAST, it was a joy to watch. Are the haters meaning to tell me that the last inches of a squat clean is somehow the hardest part? Because I thought it was, by far, the easiest bit....

If you're gonna hate then remember he used 500# and 275#. The CF King Kong workout calls for 455# and 250# (although Josh Everett used 255# I think).

So however short on ROM he was in some reps.... had the weights been as prescribed he would have still toyed with the workout. Just my opinion though.
I wasn't hating, just pointing out facts.

You're right... full extension would probably have added maybe 5 seconds to the workout. I just think if you're going to claim to be a bad-*** you should show proper form.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #25
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Not a muscle up, but then what people do in CF is not a muscle up either... so whatever.

Everyone realizes that he is power cleaning that weight almost all the way up, and then basically doing a front squat just for the sake of doing a "full squat clean", right?

I find it funny that people on here get all upiddy about anyone's form... go to any CF gym around the country and watch people try to "clean" half that weight then come talk about this guys form.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #26
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Not a muscle up, but then what people do in CF is not a muscle up either... so whatever.

Everyone realizes that he is power cleaning that weight almost all the way up, and then basically doing a front squat just for the sake of doing a "full squat clean", right?

I find it funny that people on here get all upiddy about anyone's form... go to any CF gym around the country and watch people try to "clean" half that weight then come talk about this guys form.
Plus it's common practice for O-lifters to not lock out every single training rep.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #27
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Plus it's common practice for O-lifters to not lock out every single training rep.
really? why?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #28
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
really? why?
To train specific portions of the movement. Watch Oly training videos, occasionally you'll see lifters catch a snatch in a full OHS then dump the bar, snatch it again, and only complete the OHS on the second rep in order to avoid overtaxing themselves by doing two heavy OHSs. Same thing with cleans if they are trying to focus on a more powerful pull off the ground rather than tiring out squatting out of two consecutive reps--they may dump the first rep after controlling it in a front rack at the bottom of the squat.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #29
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post

What is a proper muscle up? Curious because I don't know much about technique on this movement. I can get myself up to the dip position, but I know it's not pretty.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #30
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Basically do it with no Kip and you got what most would call "proper"