CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
David Hansen
Member David Hansen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tustin  CA
Posts: 148
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

As for the second article referenced. The conclusion itself is clear, that chiropractic treatment is significantly equivalent to no treatment for work-related injuries.

The study compares recurrence of injury for patients undergoing either medically approved physical therapy, chiropractic therapy, or no treatment.

The best that can be said is that chiropractic is better for you than physical therapy, but it can NOT be said that it's more effective than doing nothing.

I will admit it's quite interesting, though, that normal PT actually appears to harm patients in the long term.
__________________
M/32/6'3''/210# - CFT 809
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

David,

Enjoy! Ignorance is bliss my friend. The smartest scientists also once thought that the world was flat. Some people still think that man actually came from a rib<yikes>. They were both wrong too.

Sincerely,

Your local evidence based chiropractors
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
As for the second article referenced. The conclusion itself is clear, that chiropractic treatment is significantly equivalent to no treatment for work-related injuries.

The study compares recurrence of injury for patients undergoing either medically approved physical therapy, chiropractic therapy, or no treatment.

The best that can be said is that chiropractic is better for you than physical therapy, but it can NOT be said that it's more effective than doing nothing.

I will admit it's quite interesting, though, that normal PT actually appears to harm patients in the long term.
Not picking a fight, but how is Chiro better than P.T.?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Not picking a fight, but how is Chiro better than P.T.?
I'd like to know that as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
Megan Zetter
Member Megan Zetter is offline
 
Megan Zetter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 204
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Not picking a fight, but how is Chiro better than P.T.?
I don't think anyone is saying any one treatment/healthcare is better. An MD, DC, PT, DO, ND, OB, LAc ... all have their place. It's good to have options. That article was for illustration that chiropractic care is helpful. Why the PT group did not benefit as much is a mystery to me as well. The authors didn't have a clear answer either.

Here is another article. Tell me if this is how you would have wanted to be treated? I'm 99% sure had this patient initially presented to a DC or at least at some point in their search for an answer, they would have saved a boat load of money and suffering. DC's are WELL trained in ruling out the big bad and nasty. So don't think the DC would not have considered the heart in this patient, but disc would have been the second or third differential.

Want more? I have plenty. As Brian said, we are evidenced based. Yes, there are DC's out there that do some crazy stuff, but most never physically hurt their patients. Do you know how much a DC pays in malpractice insurance per year? What about an MD? There is a HUGE difference. And the reason being, is DC's don't kill, cut off, or poison their patients. Accidental overdoses happen everyday. The wrong Rx is dispensed daily. Surgery on the wrong limb. Death by anesthesia. The list goes on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NeckP&HeartAttack.pdf (160.8 KB, 2192 views)
__________________
Chiropractic physician

Last edited by Megan Zetter : 06-10-2011 at 07:58 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
David Hansen
Member David Hansen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tustin  CA
Posts: 148
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Not picking a fight, but how is Chiro better than P.T.?
I was referring to the long-form conclusion of the second paper that Megan posted. In that study, chiropractic manipulation actually resulted in *less* recurrence of injury symptoms compared to medically prescribed physical therapy. So did complete inaction.

I was speaking in the context of that one study. It may or may not be corroborated by others.
__________________
M/32/6'3''/210# - CFT 809
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
I was referring to the long-form conclusion of the second paper that Megan posted. In that study, chiropractic manipulation actually resulted in *less* recurrence of injury symptoms compared to medically prescribed physical therapy. So did complete inaction.

I was speaking in the context of that one study. It may or may not be corroborated by others.
I wonder if that has anything to do with people being lazy and not wanting to do things for themselves i.e. continue periodic rehab exercises after the injury to protect their injury? I know most people who cry about p.t. not working seem to not comply well or have a lack of understanding on how they can help themselves. Not nesscessarily their fault if the p.t. doesn't teach them, but I think that the self loathing seen in patient populations and their poo poo attidude may play a viable factor in rehab regardless of treatment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #18
Megan Zetter
Member Megan Zetter is offline
 
Megan Zetter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 204
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I wonder if that has anything to do with people being lazy and not wanting to do things for themselves i.e. continue periodic rehab exercises after the injury to protect their injury? I know most people who cry about p.t. not working seem to not comply well or have a lack of understanding on how they can help themselves. Not nesscessarily their fault if the p.t. doesn't teach them, but I think that the self loathing seen in patient populations and their poo poo attidude may play a viable factor in rehab regardless of treatment.
Hence one reason people like their MD -- drugs are much easier to take than exercise and eating better.
__________________
Chiropractic physician
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
Hence one reason people like their MD -- drugs are much easier to take than exercise and eating better.
As I suspected
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

Sure hope some people never need an MD to save their lives.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfit & Chiro Nicole M. Burns Health and Medical Issues 8 05-29-2010 08:29 AM
Chiro - worth it or not? Cal Jones Health and Medical Issues 11 01-21-2009 12:45 PM
Massage and Chiro Jerry Martin Health and Medical Issues 24 11-27-2008 09:36 PM
Chiro is good stuff. Blair Robert Lowe Injuries 0 07-26-2007 01:41 PM
Chiro for Back Injury James Taft Injuries 15 08-08-2005 10:54 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.