CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
David Hansen

Profile:
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

As for the second article referenced. The conclusion itself is clear, that chiropractic treatment is significantly equivalent to no treatment for work-related injuries.

The study compares recurrence of injury for patients undergoing either medically approved physical therapy, chiropractic therapy, or no treatment.

The best that can be said is that chiropractic is better for you than physical therapy, but it can NOT be said that it's more effective than doing nothing.

I will admit it's quite interesting, though, that normal PT actually appears to harm patients in the long term.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
Brian Strump

Profile:

David,

Enjoy! Ignorance is bliss my friend. The smartest scientists also once thought that the world was flat. Some people still think that man actually came from a rib<yikes>. They were both wrong too.

Sincerely,

Your local evidence based chiropractors
Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
As for the second article referenced. The conclusion itself is clear, that chiropractic treatment is significantly equivalent to no treatment for work-related injuries.

The study compares recurrence of injury for patients undergoing either medically approved physical therapy, chiropractic therapy, or no treatment.

The best that can be said is that chiropractic is better for you than physical therapy, but it can NOT be said that it's more effective than doing nothing.

I will admit it's quite interesting, though, that normal PT actually appears to harm patients in the long term.
Not picking a fight, but how is Chiro better than P.T.?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I'd like to know that as well.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying any one treatment/healthcare is better. An MD, DC, PT, DO, ND, OB, LAc ... all have their place. It's good to have options. That article was for illustration that chiropractic care is helpful. Why the PT group did not benefit as much is a mystery to me as well. The authors didn't have a clear answer either.

Here is another article. Tell me if this is how you would have wanted to be treated? I'm 99% sure had this patient initially presented to a DC or at least at some point in their search for an answer, they would have saved a boat load of money and suffering. DC's are WELL trained in ruling out the big bad and nasty. So don't think the DC would not have considered the heart in this patient, but disc would have been the second or third differential.

Want more? I have plenty. As Brian said, we are evidenced based. Yes, there are DC's out there that do some crazy stuff, but most never physically hurt their patients. Do you know how much a DC pays in malpractice insurance per year? What about an MD? There is a HUGE difference. And the reason being, is DC's don't kill, cut off, or poison their patients. Accidental overdoses happen everyday. The wrong Rx is dispensed daily. Surgery on the wrong limb. Death by anesthesia. The list goes on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NeckP&HeartAttack.pdf (160.8 KB, 2192 views)

Last edited by Megan Zetter : 06-10-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
I was referring to the long-form conclusion of the second paper that Megan posted. In that study, chiropractic manipulation actually resulted in *less* recurrence of injury symptoms compared to medically prescribed physical therapy. So did complete inaction.

I was speaking in the context of that one study. It may or may not be corroborated by others.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
I was referring to the long-form conclusion of the second paper that Megan posted. In that study, chiropractic manipulation actually resulted in *less* recurrence of injury symptoms compared to medically prescribed physical therapy. So did complete inaction.

I was speaking in the context of that one study. It may or may not be corroborated by others.
I wonder if that has anything to do with people being lazy and not wanting to do things for themselves i.e. continue periodic rehab exercises after the injury to protect their injury? I know most people who cry about p.t. not working seem to not comply well or have a lack of understanding on how they can help themselves. Not nesscessarily their fault if the p.t. doesn't teach them, but I think that the self loathing seen in patient populations and their poo poo attidude may play a viable factor in rehab regardless of treatment.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #18
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
I wonder if that has anything to do with people being lazy and not wanting to do things for themselves i.e. continue periodic rehab exercises after the injury to protect their injury? I know most people who cry about p.t. not working seem to not comply well or have a lack of understanding on how they can help themselves. Not nesscessarily their fault if the p.t. doesn't teach them, but I think that the self loathing seen in patient populations and their poo poo attidude may play a viable factor in rehab regardless of treatment.
Hence one reason people like their MD -- drugs are much easier to take than exercise and eating better.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
Hence one reason people like their MD -- drugs are much easier to take than exercise and eating better.
As I suspected
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Sure hope some people never need an MD to save their lives.