CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-09-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

Im almost finished reading NHE I just started the chapter on exercise. Great book so far. It has almost everything one needs to know about this stuff(fitness, exercise, etc.)

For those of you who have read it, what are some things(if any) that you disagree with?

One thing I disagree with is that Faigin says cottage cheese is okay during the metabolic shift, but nuts are not. a half a cup of cottage cheese has twice as much sugar as a quarter cup of almonds, and 5 times more than a quarter cup of walnuts.

Thats about the only thing I disagree with so far that I can think of.

Cheers

Roy
Old 05-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
Steve Hoglund

Profile:  
Roy
I enjoyed the book very much, and found it extremely well thought out and informative. After reading it, I really didn't have things that I disagreed with. However, after putting it into practice for ~6wks I do. I had no trouble with the metabolic shift. The main thing that I noticed and found unacceptable was that my energy level decreased markedly. This is in direct conflict with what Faigin proposes. My athletic performance declined as well as my attitude. In addition, I felt like crap after the carb loading meals as well as very "fuzzy headed". After 6 weeks I could no longer continue. I started out at about 10%bf and at the end of 6 weeks, it was the same.

In contrast, I immediately switched over to the Zone diet (the last 2 weeks) and the difference is stunning. My energy levels have increased dramatically, I'm feeling much better, and even my attitude has positively changed. Now to be fair, I also started taking a multi-vitamin as well as 5g of omega-3 per day. And this certainly is contributing to my feeling of well being. In 2 weeks, I've dropped 2 lbs (176.5), and have become noticeably more defined.

Roy, your results could certainly be much different than mine, but just wanted to give you a heads up about my experience.

steve
Old 05-09-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
Roy

Profile:

Steve,

understandable. No two people are the same. Especially you and I! I feel awesome on NHE, but when I tried the Zone, not only did I find it hard to follow, but I also felt like you did on NHE: Like crap!

Just another example that what works for you is the Gold standard. My opinion is that if one can eat nothing but chocolate cake and tiramisu, build muscle, lose fat, and reach an elite level of fitness, then stick with it!

Cheers

Roy

Old 05-10-2004, 08:56 AM   #4
Steve Hoglund

Profile:  
Roy,

I couldn't agree more. Find what works best for you and use it! I incorrectly assumed from your 1st post that you were still reading the material and had not started implementing it yet. Here's to your continued success!

steve
Old 05-11-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I found the carb loads to be rough. I REALLy wish NHE worked as wello as it seems like it should. In my experience the zone/athletes zone work better. Tinker and see!
Robb
Old 05-11-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
Roy

Profile:

Robb,

what exactly do you meanmy ROUGH? I've been on NHE for a while, and I've gone hog wild on almost every carb up, eating lots of things I shouldnt and felt the same. Would this indicate an insulin resistance?

Cheers

Roy